It was another one of those days when I got carried away in a project and then looked at the clock and realized I needed to have dinner ready in less than an hour. Not good. Especially when I still hadn’t figured out what was for dinner.
I looked through a list of recipes I’d been wanting to try, just hoping to find something quick, new, and for which I had all the ingredients.
It almost succeeded on all counts.
Quick Chickpea Curry
¼ cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans (14 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 handfuls spinach leaves, shredded
1 heaping tablespoon cilantro, minced
½-1 cup plain yogurt
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and spices and sauté another minute. Add the tomatoes and bring the pan to a boil. Stir in the garbanzo beans, cover the pan, and reduce heat to simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cilantro and cook 3-4 more minutes. Salt to taste. Serve with yogurt. Serves 2-4.
Chef’s review: This really does come together quickly. Perfect for when dinner needs to get on the table pronto.
Family reviews: First off, I have to be honest: We didn’t have any cilantro on hand. I’m sure we would have liked it a lot more, even though I’m not usually a cilantro person. That said, this chickpea curry was a little on the bland side for me. Becky thought it was very good. We both thought it would be better served over rice. (We love rice.) Aaron neglected to comment, and he’s asleep now, so I shall have to try to catch up with him on this issue tomorrow.
Links to related posts:
I love these type of quick curry recipes. I always have at least two types of store bought (I use online spice stores) curry powders on hand, instead of using individual spices. This makes it even easier for a lazy cook like me. Also, there is another condiment that is a “must” for me when making curries or Thai type dishes, Major Grey, or other mango chutney. Once opened it needs to be refrigerated. It last forever in the frig but the bottle says once open use within a ridiculously short time. I ignore that. I have seen it in every grocery store I’ve been in. Sometimes it is in the International aisle (Indian or British section), other brands are in the Condiment aisle. A blob of this in the curry adds tons of flavor and because there is sugar in chutney it makes it more family friendly. Thank you for your very helpful blog.
ReplyDelete