Wednesday, March 25, 2026

“Fish Antibiotics” Available Again in the US

True confessions time again. I haven’t written a single blog article in the past six or so weeks.  Maybe more.  And I haven’t even missed it.  Scary.  Everything you've read here during the week was written 2-3 months ago.

I’ve spent every day of the past six weeks working on the second edition of Bring Your Own Bandages.  And for those of you who would like to suggest an alternative title, now’s your opportunity.  So far, we’ve got only one vote for BYOB, 2nd edition.  I’m happy to report great progress is being made.  Not only will it contain 3-4x the content of the first edition (sorry, I can’t be more exact than that yet), it will look much better.  I’ve learned a lot about formatting over the past six years.

However, reporting on BYOB2E progress isn’t the purpose of today’s interruption in that work.   

A couple of months ago, I started seeing ads for fish antibiotics again in the US.  I figured they were a scam and ignored them.  And then someone on the forum I frequent for real news mentioned a new company selling antibiotics for ornamental fish.  He and several others on that same forum report that the new fish pills are the real deal.  The pills all look like they should.  They smell like they should.  After starting the antibiotic course, the “fish” display the same reaction.  And they all feel better.

So it appears that the loophole the FDA closed in June 2023 is now open again.  No, I have no idea why we’re now allowed to buy fish antibiotics again without a prescription.  I wanted to call the company and ask, but I know I’d sound like an FDA agent or some Karen. 

So here it is:  MontanaAquariumSupply.com.  I copied the following directly from their site:

 

We provide the finest quality aquarium medication for ornamental fish use.

Our aquarium antibiotics are NOT for human consumption or use with fish meant for food.

All of our products are guaranteed pharmaceutical grade USP.

We do not import foreign products, our products are FDA approved, provided by

US pharmaceutical manufacturers.

Shipping…..

Orders are shipped free with tracking, orders are shipped USPS ground advantage [ Formally 1st class air ]

If an order is received before [ 4:00 ] pm. MST it will be shipped out the same day, excluding weekends and holidays. [ We work Saturdays but packages do not leave our post office until Monday ]

Normally 2-4 business days for expected delivery time

 

I compared prices with AllDayChemist.com and found the Montana Aquarium prices to be comparable.  Factor in free shipping, and then they’re substantially less expensive.  Unfortunately, they don’t have near the selection of ADC, but they do have the basic antibiotics for your fish needs.  Usually there are only one or two dosages available, so you might need to do some math if your tank is particularly large or small.  Some antibiotics are only available in tablets or capsules.  I prefer tablets as I think they are easier to split. Some of these come in blister packs and some in bottles. 

You all know that I write most of my articles weeks in advance, but I wrote this one 24 March 2026.  I’ll post an update when my order arrives. Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, I didn’t receive any compensation from Montana Aquarium Supply for this post.  I’ve never talked to them or done business with them until I placed this order a few minutes ago.

Links to related posts:

Fish Antibiotics No Longer Available 

Acquiring Antibiotics

1 comment:

  1. drug nanufacturer isn't new - was selling direct until the FED intervention - began distributor oriented sales to circumvent the problem >>> good reports on the order/ship/quality/price front

    ReplyDelete