Home canning pineapple in glass takes care of that problem so that
you can have pineapple further into a long-term grid-down situation.
However, pineapple's never been a popular fruit for home canning. In
the places where it grows, it's available fresh year-round, so there's
no need to can it. Generally, in the places where it doesn't grow,
which is where most of us live, it's expensive, making it a fruit that
we don't stock up on.
But a few times a year, fresh pineapple goes on a great sale. I can't
pass it up when it's only 99 cents. It's hard not to come home with a
dozen to can and dehydrate. So I try to restrain myself and only come
home with eight. But I often fail, especially if they're smelling
really good.
However, you really shouldn't start off making a huge batch. Give it a
try first. Home-canned pineapple has a decidedly different texture and
taste. I
find it still acceptable and so do the kids, but I can see where others
might not be so enthusiastic.
To pick the best pineapple, check the bottom. There should be no mold.
Now sniff. Does it smell like a nice, ripe pineapple? If so, you want
it. If it smells a little fermented, pass. If there's no smell at
all, it might still be great, but it might also be blah. The Hawaiians
teaching us how to choose pineapples all said that color was no
indication of ripeness, but I still think a pineapple with a touch of
yellow is best.
Basically, canning pineapple is a lot like canning most other fruits.
Cut or slice the pineapple as desired--slices, chunks, or tidbits.
Simmer pineapple in a light sugar syrup until tender and pack hot into
jars. Leave 1/2-inch headspace and add boiling syrup, also with
1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and bands and process in a boiling
water bath, 15 minutes for pints or 20 minutes for quarts, or longer
depending on altitude.
Links to related posts:
Dehydrating Pineapple
2.22.20
Hint wear plastic gloves to prevent the acids in the pineapple from burning your hands, never canned one but dehydrated it.
ReplyDeleteGood for snacks
I use gloves when processing jalapenos. I don't know why it never occurred to me to use them for processing pineapples. Good idea!
Delete