Also known as German pancakes, this family breakfast dish utilizes the most basic of food storage staples. It comes together quickly, in five minutes or less, so while it’s baking you can get the rest of the meal on the table. Watch out! You could get pulled over for speeding in the kitchen!
Oven Pancakes
¼ cup coconut oil
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup powdered milk
2 tablespoons sugar, optional
½ teaspoon salt
6 eggs
1 ½ cups water
Splash vanilla extract, optional
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place coconut oil in a large (12” or more) cast iron skillet or 9x13” baking dish and put it in the oven to melt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered milk, sugar, and salt. Blend in the eggs, water, and vanilla, if desired.
Carefully pour the batter into the melted oil. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until puffed high and golden brown. Cut into wedges or squares and serve hot. Top with butter, jam, syrup, fresh or frozen fruit, powdered sugar, etc. Serves 4-6 adults.
Chef’s review: I so wish I’d had this recipe when my children were young. It came together so quickly with few dishes dirtied. It would have been a lifesaver on those busy mornings or nights. And it’s all food-storage staples! Gotta love that. And yes, there is no leavening agent in this. I also was concerned that something was missing, but this is the complete recipe.
Family reviews: Rave reviews all around. Professor and Belle had breakfast first and noted that this dish is also known as German pancakes. But they usually have it in a 9x13” pan or even baked on a cookie sheet. They said it’s a little less egg-y that way. But they chowed it down. Blueberry Girl also really liked it. Buttercup and the rest of the family arrived a little later and chowed down the leftovers quite happily. I liked it but didn’t love it. It was just a little egg-y for my taste, but otherwise was quite nice. I guess I would bake it longer or use a 9x13” pan next time. Topped with fresh fruit, this would be absolutely fabulous.
I have made German oven pancakes (my mom called them humps and hills). Her recipe is slightly different.
ReplyDelete6 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put butter in 9x13 pan, and put pan in oven to melt. While butter is melting, beat eggs well, add flour, 1/2 cup of the milk, and then the hot melted butter. Then add the remainder of the milk and salt. Pour into the heated pan, and bake for 20 minutes.
Don't leave out the salt, or it doesn't come out right.
It is definitely "eggy", but I like that.