Wednesday, March 11, 2026

Gardening for the Brain

I know what you’re thinking—I’ve already covered this topic.  Ok, maybe you weren’t thinking that, but I was.  But give me a break.  I read and research a lot more than I write about and sometimes forget what I’ve actually shared here on the blog.  We’ve touched on some of the benefits of gardening like ameliorating depression and anxiety.  Then there are the physical exercise benefits we already know about. 

What hasn’t been covered are the more recently identified physiological and cognitive benefits.  Intrigued?  I sure was, partly because research in this field may apply to our future, and partly because I think I will see the effects within my own family. 

As you’re aware, Aaron and half of his department at one of the local mines were laid off last year. While he knew layoffs were coming, he was surprised to be included in the group.  While those job reductions weren’t AI-related, he knew AI would eventually be coming.  Naturally, after being unemployed for seven months, any appropriate job would be welcome.  We never imagined he’d land a dream job, one that he’ll be able to retire from, and which can’t be taken by AI.  What’s more, it’s not a desk job.  It's much more physical, including hauling 40 (or is it 50?) pound sacks of water softener salt up a ship’s ladder.  His physical condition has been improving.  His duties also involve working in the gardens, something he basically never did at home beyond mowing the grass.  (Which was just fine.  I’m not complaining, just noting the facts.)

And I couldn’t be happier.    

Because research demonstrates that gardening benefits cognitive performance.  A Scottish study spanning nearly seven decades, covering a group of people from the age of 11 until the study concluded when the participants were 79 years old, revealed that those who participated in gardening exhibited greater cognitive faculties than those who never or only rarely did.  As one researcher noted, "Engaging in gardening projects, learning about plants and general garden upkeep involves complex cognitive processes such as memory and executive function.”[1]

It's theorized that some of those benefits arise from the idea of “use it or lose it”, basically that our mental faculties as we age depend greatly on how frequently they are exercised.  When certain parts of the brain are not regularly stimulated, those parts of the brain essentially atrophy.  However, activities like gardening and learning new skills in the silver and golden years can have the opposite effect.[2] 

A study conducted with 800 nuns in the US revealed that frequent involvement in mentally stimulating activities (like trying to figure out how to keep the rabbits from eating the veggies) reduced their risk of developing Alzheimer’s.[3]  Moreover, even those individuals who were already experiencing cognitive challenges displayed improvements in memory, behavior, and communication if they exercised their brain often.  In short, retirement ain’t the time for channel surfing or doom scrolling.[4]  

Why is this?  Time working in the garden reduces stress and increases physical activity, which when combined help control blood pressure and blood sugars, and to maintain a healthy weight.  And all of those reduce the risk of numerous diseases that contribute to dementia. Even moderate exercise improves mental and physical health.  Gardening takes those benefits to the next level.[5] 

Furthermore, a 2006 study in Australia focused on sixty-year-olds revealed that those who worked in their gardens every day had 36% less risk of developing dementia compared to those who did not.[6]  Furthermore, gardening improves the ability to focus, and reduces stress, falling, and reliance on prescription medications.[7] 

I don’t raise this issue in an attempt to encourage people to raise more vegetables.  You and I know we need to grow as much food as we possibly can.  As we age, perhaps these findings will motivate us to keep working a little while longer when cutting back physically seems attractive.  What appears more important to me, however, is that we’ll possibly have elderly family members or neighbors near us when things go south.  And we might feel that letting them rest or finding some mindless activity to occupy them while we work would be the best solution.  The studies show, however, that engaging our older family and friends in meaningful work is actually what is needed.  As one woman who works with cognitively-challenged elders at a care farm in Europe observed, “[P]eople who struggle with memory loss may have an easier time following along. "If they forget how to do something but then see what the other workers are doing, they remember how to do it themselves."[8]

 

 



[1] https://www.ed.ac.uk/research-innovation/latest-research-news/gardening-linked-to-staying-sharp-in-later-life-st

[2] https://www.ed.ac.uk/research-innovation/latest-research-news/gardening-linked-to-staying-sharp-in-later-life-st

[3] https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20250509-how-gardening-boosts-brain-health?utm_source=firefox-newtab-en-us

[4] https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20250509-how-gardening-boosts-brain-health?utm_source=firefox-newtab-en-us

[5] https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20250509-how-gardening-boosts-brain-health?utm_source=firefox-newtab-en-us

[7] https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20250509-how-gardening-boosts-brain-health?utm_source=firefox-newtab-en-us

[8] https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20250509-how-gardening-boosts-brain-health?utm_source=firefox-newtab-en-us

No comments:

Post a Comment