The last couple of years have presented the people of Planet Earth with a couple of perfect storms. If that wasn’t bad enough, there are more in the forecast.
As you already know, Russia and China decided to halt exports of urea, which US farmers rely on to fertilize their fields before planting essential crops such as corn and wheat. Skyrocketing inflation at the grocery store is prompting more people than ever to plan for gardens this year to reduce their expenditures. Unfortunately, the soils always need fertilizer, and people don’t always have access to traditional animal manures. As long as we’re eating, however, we always have our own poop.
People have used humanure (human manure) as long as, well, forever. But with advances in modern agriculture and hygiene, the very idea of gardening in our own poop became rather distasteful and fell out of favor. The threat of food insecurity and rising fertilizer costs has prompted a resurgence of interest among some folks in the possibility of using their own manure. Concerns on the internet forums I frequent about the possibility of nuclear events due to hostilities in Ukraine have prompted discussions about how to manage waste when sheltering in a basement for up to two weeks. And the talk always turns to humanure.
Now, let me be clear here. While I test most ideas out myself before presenting them here (medical issues excluded—I can’t get volunteers), this is definitely not one of them. I’m just not willing to go there yet. However, by the time I may be willing to go there, the internet may not be an option.
There is a manual out there, written by the godfather of humanure himself, Joseph Jenkins. He’s been dealing with poop and using it to raise the food that he feeds to his family for nearly 50 years now. In fact, it appears he’s built quite the little business writing of his experiences and lecturing to audiences around the country. Anyway, his book, The Humanure Handbook, is available on Amazon for under $20.
Unfortunately, we don’t all have the money for every little resource. Fortunately, Mr. Jenkins has kindly provided links to download his book for free, chapter by chapter. That’s a little bit of a hassle, but on the plus side, you don’t actually need all the chapters. A few focus on the introduction and history, and fortunately, there’s a lot of humor sprinkled in to entertain while you delve into a dirty topic. After that, you can just print what you want.
Options for dealing with your own humanure range from plastic bags in buckets to the $2,000 composting toilets my husband saw in a Bass Pro catalog last week. Actually, I’m sure there are more expensive options as well, but we don’t get those kinds of catalogs. Other supplies you’ll want to have on hand to reduce odor include peat moss and lime, lots of both. Fortunately, they’re good for the garden as well.
Here is the main link to The Humanure Handbook downloads. While I recommend reading from the beginning—it’s all quite entertaining and informative—the most pertinent chapters to using humanure begin in chapter 9.
https://www.humanurehandbook.com/contents.html
Links to related posts:
Jennifer you're a Mom. I bet you got pretty good handling Human Manure until they were potty trained.
ReplyDeleteI already used some limited Human Manure they SELL it as Organic Fertilizer using special names to hide it comes from sewage treatment plants. Most organic farms use it.
I use diluted urine as a side dressing for my plants I cook.
Works very well and as a SIDE Benefit I found out it helps keep rodents and rabbits away from the garden until it rains.
Thank you for providing a link to that old Hippies book. I really enjoyed meeting him some years ago.
Michael, as you noted, I am quite familiar with poop. I'm not so fond of the smell, but I really don't have a problem with it. My husband and one of my sons present something of a problem, however. The thought of coming anywhere near human waste makes them break out in a sweat. They already examine every leaf of home grown lettuce for tiny bugs or specks of dirt. At this point in time, they would absolutely quit eating if they thought the food had been grown in poop, however well composted it might be. Of course, that may well have to change in the future. Heck, I've even begged them to go pee outside on the perimeter of the garden in the hopes of warding off the deer. No go.
DeleteI bet it was really interesting meeting Joseph Jenkins.
LOL Jennifer, I HEAR you and the Family stories :-)
ReplyDeleteMakes me wonder if they ever hunted or otherwise got their meat other than a grocery store. THAT'S a change in lifestyle many folks are going to be shocked about.
As you know I'm in healthcare, so blood and human waste is just part of the job.
Joeseph was one of the smartest people I have ever met. Surprisingly humble and easy to talk to.