Over the past summer, I published three new books but didn’t announce them here on the blog. Truthfully, I was a little embarrassed about them. See, I hate when authors, mostly self-published, come out with an “all-new” book that isn’t all-new at all. Some I’ve seen have less than 20% new material, and everything else is a re-hash of a previous title. I hate that. It seems so dishonest. I wanted nothing to do with anything that my readers might construe that way.
And I fear it would be easy for that to happen. So let me tell you all about the new books and why I did what I did.
At the venues where I sold my books in 2024, some people were overwhelmed by Armageddon Pharmacy. They asked for something smaller, with color photographs. Because I anticipated doing more of these markets in the coming years, I decided to give it a try, breaking the original Armageddon Pharmacy into subsets akin to a quick start or introduction. The first three focus on backyard flowers, mint family herbs, and weeds, and average 130 pages. There will eventually be six more of these subsets; however, I have another project to complete before doing any more.
Medicine Surrounds Us: Craft Powerful Herbal Remedies from Backyard Flowers contains 14 flowers. These ten are in Armageddon Pharmacy:
Calendula
Chrysanthemum
Dianthus
Echinacea
German chamomile
Nasturtium
Passionflower
Peony
Snapdragon
Sunflower
These four are only in Medicine Surrounds Us, Volume 1, and on the blog:
California poppy
Hollyhock
Johnny jump-up
Sweet alyssum
Medicine Surrounds Us, Volume 2: Craft Powerful Herbal Remedies from Mint Family Herbs contains 11 mint family herbs. These nine are in Armageddon Pharmacy:
Basil
Catnip
Lavender
Lemon balm
Oregano
Peppermint
Rosemary
Spearmint
Thyme
These two are only in Medicine Surrounds Us, Volume 2:
Horsemint
Sage
Medicine Surrounds Us, Volume 3: Craft Powerful Herbal Remedies from Weeds contains only information that was published in Armageddon Pharmacy. There is no new material, other than the photographs and therapeutic usage index.
After publishing Armageddon Pharmacy last year, I realized what I really wanted in it was a Therapeutic Usage Index. I want to locate my illness in the index and find which herbs manage it; I don’t want to look up a dozen page numbers, and then find out which herbs treat it. I guess I’m impatient like that.
I posted two Therapeutic Usage Indexes on the ribbon at the top of the blog. One button contains just the herbs and substances found in Armageddon Pharmacy. The other, Armageddon Pharmacy +, contains what’s been published in the Medicine Surrounds Us books as well as on the blog but nowhere else. Feel free to print them up for your own use.
The Medicine Surrounds Us books are basically quick start guides. With only three pages of introduction and about a dozen on making medicine, the focus is on the making medicine from the herbs.
All four books contain the same information on how to transform herbs into the various preparations as well as all the footnotes. The Medicine Surrounds Us volumes are formatted much better. I improve my skills with each book. I cringe looking at the formatting of my earlier books. I’m really embarrassed by them.
So there you have it. A short description of the books and why I published them. If you’ve already got Armageddon Pharmacy, would I recommend these? Well, not for yourself, for sure. If you’re interested in the other herbs, look them up on the blog and jot down any info you need in the margins of Armageddon Pharmacy. If buying them for gifts, absolutely. I think they look rather nice.
Amazon is the most expensive place to buy them, and I get the least amount of profit.
EmergingBookshelf.com, an upstart Amazon alternative, has most of my titles but not all. We’re still working on that. Everything there is less than on Amazon, and a few titles are less than on my author website. We’re also still working on that, but in the meantime, take advantage of the lower prices. Last I checked, shipping was free with a $40 order.
AuthorJenniferRader.com is my website; click on the Square button to purchase through me. It’s not a pretty site, but it works. Shipping through me is also free.


I got the new books to have as back ups and as quick reference guides. I'll admit to buying them on Amazon as for us northern folk the free shipping makes them cheaper.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see your still researching , keep up the excellent work.
Exile1981
Thank you for your support, friendship, suggestions, and everything.
DeleteI really dislike the cover of Armageddon Pharmacy, though I understand the need to try something different. These covers are beautiful, and also say "use me now, " not just in the apocalypse. I own & use all of your books. These look like I will be giving them as gifts!
ReplyDeleteComments like yours make me realize that I need the PSD readers' input before selecting titles and covers.
DeleteGood Morning Jennifer!
ReplyDeleteIs signed copies available to add to my collection?
As a side note my library is currently put away for home repairs. If you have records of what I've ordered is their other books of yours, I've missed? Looking at your site makes me wonder.
Also, can you add a link to your website for easier click through.
Of course, I would be happy to sign copies!
DeleteI don't know if the Square site is down, or if I have an ID10T problem here on my side; I can't access my records right now, but I can receive orders. Michael, I believe you ordered all titles in print at that time earlier this year. So the only three you are lacking with be the Medicine Surrounds Us series.
I really need a tech-savvy child to help me here. Of course, I should have links for easier click-through! But do I think of these things? Never! Per your suggestion, I've added them in. Thank you.
Jennifer ordered the 3 new books. Not sure I liked "signing up" for square pay but.. Didn't have to before.
DeletePlease look at your records as I'm not remembering getting good eating at teotwawki cafe series.
My husband worked through the Square issue on my side late last night. You have the first two volumes in the Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Cafe series--powdered milk and condiments. The grains book came out in March. Sorry you had to sign up for Square. I hate stuff like that, and truthfully it causes me to look for other alternatives or skip the purchase altogether, so I can't fault others for doing the same. I really appreciate your support.
DeleteOrdered the Grains book. You're going to have a sore hand from signing so many books :-) Hopefully you can save time and ship all of them together.
DeleteI enjoy your work. I really don't trust Kindle books. Too easy for them to disappear.
Hi Michael,
DeleteI suspected you'd be placing that order, so I shipped it with the other books yesterday. I had other orders to ship, so it was easiest to do them all at once.
I totally agree about the Kindle books, and so do about 97% of other buyers. I think the greater concern for me is not that they will disappear, but that AI will somehow alter them. I probably won't do Kindle for future books since the demand is so small.