We got some new neighbors in at the bottom of the street earlier this year. If I understood the post office gossip correctly, both were professors at Hillsdale College until the husband’s father passed away. If he didn’t take over the business, it would close. His wife’s condition for moving out to this desolate state? They had to get a house in our small town. (It turns out, that last bit of gossip wasn't true.)
Unfortunately, it hasn’t been a great career move for her. She teaches math and science. Our little community college went all online for math with covid, and never went back. So then it was the high school. Which didn’t work out for someone with principles. She refused to accept 9% as a passing grade for students. One can hardly blame her.
We had her over for dinner this summer; her husband was sick and couldn’t make it. And now we’re going to their place for dinner this weekend. And I need a new dessert. The desserts I used to make for such occasions are either a bit on the rich side or would land me in a world of hurt if I made them and the family didn’t get to partake. I also wanted something with a nicer presentation, a step above a potluck. And bonus points if it could be food-storage-friendly and blog-worthy. My close friends and I are all in favor of trying new recipes out on each other. But with our new neighbors, I’d rather not take chances. So, of course, I have to test it at home first.
I present Apple Cider Doughnut Cake.
Apple Cider Doughnut Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325°F. Use shortening to grease a bundt pan and then dust with granulated sugar. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the sugars and oil. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
Add the eggs to the sugar mixture and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in the applesauce and vanilla.
With the mixer on low speed, add in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Follow this with half of the apple cider. Continue alternating the flour mixture and the apple cider. After the last of the flour is added, beat 1 minute. This batter is thin.
Pour batter into a bundt pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
Let cool 1 hour in the pan and then remove it to a cake plate or cooling rack.
When completely cool, brush surface with melted butter.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon and then sprinkle on the top and sides of the cake.
Family reviews: This cake passes with flying colors. It’s going to dinner with us Saturday. Well, the one I make on Saturday is. This one will have to go straight to KOTPE’s house tomorrow morning. Aaron gives it two thumbs up.
No comments:
Post a Comment