Saturday, December 20, 2025

Meals in a Jar

We never know how a disaster is going to strike, what exactly the challenges will be.  So it's a good idea to have several options for cooking and eating when you're starring in your own survival reality show, minus the cameras and catering crew.

Meals in a jar give you another option.  Making your own using freeze-dried ingredients saves a bit of money over buying the commercially prepared stuff.  You know, I like Mountain House just as much as the next girl or guy, but it is really expensive.  Even using freeze-dried ingredients makes it pretty expensive, so you might try using dehydrated instead and see if that works for you.  A bonus is that if using dehydrated, you'll be able to fit more food in the jar, which is nice if you have a larger family.  A con is that dehydrated foods take longer to rehydrate than freeze-dried.

When you assemble your meals in jars, the last item you add to each is a 300 cc (or more) oxygen absorber.  For proper sealing, be sure that you have also simmered the lids for at least five minutes.  Alternatively, you may use a vacuum-sealer.

Below are a few recipes to get you started.  More will be posted in the coming months.

Pasta with Sausage and Mushrooms
Layer in a quart jar:
1/3 cup freeze-dried mushrooms
1/3 cup freeze-dried sausage
2/3 cup freeze-dried hamburger
2/3 cup tomato powder
1/3 cup dehydrated onions
1 cup ziti or other pasta
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
2/3 cup freeze-dried mozzarella cheese (in a separate baggie)


Put 4 1/2 cups of water in a medium saucepan and add jar contents, except for the cheese.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer 15-20 minutes, or until the pasta is tender and the sauce has thickened.  Put the cheese in a small bowl and spritz with water.  Let stand for five minutes.  Sprinkle the cheese on the pasta and serve.

Mexican Rice with Beef
1 1/2 cups freeze-dried hamburger
1 1/2 cups rice
1/2 cup freeze-dried chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup dehydrated minced onions
1/4 cup tomato powder
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Bring 5 1/2 cups water and jar contents to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Cover and simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes, or until tender.  Serve.

Fajita Casserole
2 cups dehydrated pinto beans
1 cup rice
1/2 cup dehydrated chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup dehydrated minced onion
1/2 cup freeze-dried cheddar or jack cheese
1/4 cup tomato powder
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
 
Pour jar contents into a three-quart casserole dish with lid.  Add six cups of hot water and cover dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. 



Links to related posts:
Overview of Emergency Food Storage Options  
Instant Meals  
Meal Tins

© 2019, PrepSchoolDaily.blogspot.com 

4 comments:

  1. Is there a difference between freeze-dried bell pepper and dehydrated bell pepper? I am just looking to not depend on buying the food and just processing from my garden, though I have seen freeze-dryers now for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet tried freeze-dried bell pepper, though I have used a lot of other freeze-dried items. Freeze-dried foods rehydrate much more quickly than dehydrated foods, so they are ready to eat sooner. Freeze-dried foods are what I want to have for preparing and eating quickly. If I have the time--which is usually the case--dehydrated works very well. Dehydrated also has the advantage of taking less space, but it also, supposedly, has a shorter shelf life. However, I don't honestly think I need anything with a 25-year shelf life. I don't see how it is possible for this country to hold together for even five more years.

      That said, I've been dying to get a freeze-dryer. Some foods just preserve better with a freeze-dryer.

      Delete
  2. Ok, thanks for the info.
    I have looked at the freeze-dryers and right now they are very expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freeze dried keeps about 95% of the nutrition over dehydration which keeps 63%.

      If your in a situation where calories count or food is scarce, the higher nutrition option is best.

      Exile1981

      Delete

The Medicinal Uses of Hyssop