One
of the things that I have found intimidating about learning about
medicine and the essential medical supplies is simply not knowing anything.
See, medical personnel know their stuff pretty well, but they then talk
about it as if we completely understand all their jargon. And the rest
of us laypeople don't even know what we don't know, so we can't ask
intelligent questions. And if you don't have a lot of experience with
illnesses and injuries, you've had even less exposure than others and
are at more of a loss. Did that make any sense?
I
was raised in a family of rather non-adventurous girls. We never broke a
bone or needed stitches. My kindergarten-aged sister did a faceplant
into the side of a sandbox that caused a massive bruise and swelling on
her forehead. That's about the extent of our injuries. I had never even
heard of triple antibiotic--or any antibiotic--cream until I was
married. I'd never heard of Coban or Vet-Wrap until our dog needed it
about five years ago. And yet, both of these are items we should have in
any basic first-aid kit. So I figured today I'd cover medical tapes and
wraps to consider adding to your supplies.
TAPES
Transpore medical tape.
I absolutely love this tape. Read the reviews on Amazon to get more
information from medical personnel, but for starters, this tape is the
best. It adheres very well, it's clear, and it tears so easily in both
directions, even for me with diminished finger strength. We've been
using this with the rabbit and 1/2" is way too wide for what we need to
do. But those strips can cleanly be torn into four or five strips. It's
waterproof, yet it also breathes to let sweat out and air in. It is the
strongest for adhering to skin. It can be used to prevent chafing and as
a butterfly stitch to close minor cuts. I love this tape so much that I
was afraid to check what it would cost, sure that the price would be
outrageous. (Supplies for diabetes management usually are, and this was
something my husband was no longer using.) I was thrilled to find it on
Amazon, one of the few items I've found that is substantially cheaper
there than at ShopMedVet.com. Transpore does leave a sticky residue and
can irritate sensitive skin. You wouldn't want to use this for daily
bandage changes. And I wouldn't use it for securing a SAM splint unless
you had no alternative, because it will rip the foam off the splint.
Number of rolls to stockpile (for a family of four): four.
Nexcare waterproof tape.
This absolutely waterproof tape adheres very well to the skin. It's
very flexible, making it the tape of choice for areas like under armpits
and between fingers and toes. It doesn't stick well to hair, which is
good for sensitive skin or daily bandage changes, but not so good if it
needs to stick to hairy skin. It is easy to tear across, but not into
lengthwise strips, and it leaves no sticky residue behind. Number of
rolls to stockpile: one.
Paper tape is
gentle on the skin. It is not as sticky as the previous two and is
inexpensive, so it's what you want for daily dressing changes and
sensitive skin. It will not work for situations involving heavy
exercise, irregular areas of the body, or blisters or chafing. Number of
rolls to stockpile: two.
Cloth tape (I
prefer silk), 2-3" wide, has a lot of applications, but the most
critical, especially for our purposes, is for taping sprained ankles. A
badly sprained ankle can be taped so well and so securely that the
patient will be able to walk if necessary. Of course, it is far, far
better to rest that ankle and let others do the work, but in some
situations, that may not be an option. Ace bandages absolutely will not
substitute for good cloth tape and a good taping job. Number of rolls to
stockpile: three.
Duct tape is
obviously not designed for medical applications, but it's a favorite
for emergency medical kits. Wider rolls are used in splinting limbs and
wrapping bandages in place when other tapes just won't work. You can
also get mini rolls of duct tape (Duck Tape brand "ducklings") for
smaller applications and smaller kits. Number of regular duct tape rolls
to stockpile for the emergency kit: one.
WRAPS
Coban is
used for wrapping fingers and limbs and holding bandages in place.
Because it is self-adherent, no pins are needed. It is made of non-woven
polyester so that it is elastic and conforms well to the body and lets
the skin breathe.
Vet-Wrap is
designed for animals, but there's no good reason not to use it for
people, especially when it's so much cheaper. It's the same stuff as
Coban. Number of rolls to stockpile: five.
The
self-adherent wraps are nice because they don't require pins and do a
pretty good job staying in place. I've never used Coban, but we have
used Vet-Wrap on the dogs and one rabbit. Of course, on the animals we
are concerned about them being active, so we also use a little duct tape
just to be sure. Lately, at the grocery outlet stores around here,
they've had their own cheap knock-off version of Coban. I bought several
rolls--you can't go too far wrong at 99 cents--and put them in with the
other supplies.
We
decided to try it out on the rabbit. And initially, I was not at all
impressed. Actually, I was more irritated to think I had wasted some
money. It wasn't very sticky, but we used it on the rabbit anyway. And
when we removed that knock-off Coban at the next dressing change, my
attitude towards it did a one-eighty. Why? Because it wasn't as
sticky. It was so much easier to change that dressing. I think this is
because the rabbit is active and jumping around and using his foot all
the time, and the Vet Wrap gradually compresses and becomes more adhered
to itself. Because the knock-off isn't as sticky to begin with, it is
easier to remove. I think the same might be true with active children.
So now I'm happy that I got it and plan to get a few more rolls. I
wouldn't plan on it as a substitute for Coban or Vet-Wrap, but more as a
supplement for situations where stickiness is not essential.
Ace bandages,
one each of 2", 3", and 4", provide support for joints, reduce
swelling, and comfortably hold dressings in place. These are for your
family, nobody else.
To go along with these, you'll also want bandage scissors for removing bandages. These have a curved tip on the bottom so that you don't risk injuring your patient. I also have a Klever Kutter (actually
ten, they were pretty cheap that way). I have really loved this. It was
a lifesaver in trying to remove the bunny's bandages without hurting
him. I would rather have this for dealing with a wiggly child or other
difficult-to-manage patient. In case you're interested, click on the link below for the review.
Wound Dressings
Sutures
Klever Kutter
For more information on tapes:
https://insidefirstaid.com/first-aid-kit/medical-tape-buy-the-right-kind
just a suggestion in regard to "duct tape" - if you're going to carry a roll for emergencies >> calls for the best available - there's "gaffer's tape" that apparently came out of the entertainment circuit of stage setters and scenery riggers ....
ReplyDeleteInteresting. I looked it up on Amazon. It's a bit more expensive, but still doable. Now I'm really curious about whether the adhesive causes any problems with the skin. I put some in my Amazon cart. Maybe I'll get to give it a try...
DeleteI wrote this reply suggestion over 4yrs ago >>> WONDERING the outcome of your experience in using gaffers tape for med purposes - ????????????
DeleteThere is something wrong with your Klever Kutter review link. I tried it twice and ended up at a list of my own posts.
ReplyDeleteHowever, your link to related posts does work.
Thanks for this list.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThanks for letting me know.
ReplyDeleteI would suggest more than 5 rolls of vet wrap. Back in 2019 the wife tore a ligament in her ankle. No weight on it for 5 weeks doctor said, and to wrap it during the day and remove it every other day to air out and clean under it. Used up 5 rolls really quickly, its cheap and it cones in several widths. Eventually we used a spandex type ankle brace, same compression than the vet wrap but reusable. They come for ankle, knee and elbow (wrist ones usually have a rigid insert), the braces are also washable.
ReplyDeleteFor the braces 2 of each type ( small and large sizes) should allow you handle most injured joints.
Also way back the kids were playing with friends on the snow pile along the road and one of them slipped and injured her hip. Ambulance was backed up suggesting we not move her till they showed up with an estimated wait of 1-2hrs. Used a half sheet of plywood, 2 compression straps and some vet wrap we immobilized the young lady and took her to the hospital. The doctor laughed at our job but turned out was right decision as she had torn a groin muscle and fractured her pelvis.
Exile1981