Saturday, October 25, 2025

Where Do I Begin? What Exactly Should I Store?

When I began writing this blog, it was never with the intention of writing about beginning food storage.  There were already hundreds of blogs that did that, offering general information and not a lot in the way of practical specifics.  However, there are a lot of people waking up now, either to the need to start preparing, or to the idea of storing more than a few weeks' worth of convenience foods.  Today's post is for that audience.

When some people first recognize the need to prepare, to begin a long-term food storage program, it’s usually because something has happened in society to raise a red flag of warning.  And when someone suddenly wakes up to our awful situation, s/he is often overcome with the need to acquire everything at once.  People don’t know where to turn for guidance or how to store food properly.  But because society may be collapsing tomorrow, or maybe next week, they want to get everything they need right now.  They don’t have time to research.  They just want to go shopping with someone else’s previously prepared shopping list. 

Below is one of those lists issued last year by the fine folks at the BYU Department of Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science.  It’s not the one I follow, but it is a good one for beginners who want to get everything right now.[1]

With about 250 pounds of grains per year, it is far less than the 400 pounds that other popular lists have.  However, this list also includes apples, carrots, potatoes, and onions—items often not included in a lot of lists—and more oils and sugars.  Because there is a greater variety of foods, and especially foods that newcomers will be more familiar with and more easily purchased, I think this list looks a little less overwhelming. 

The list provides foods and storage amounts for one adult for one year.  It will provide approximately 2,000 calories per day.  Emphasized at the top of the page is the importance of adjusting the kinds and amounts of food based on personal preference and needs, and experimenting with recipes now.  It’s a good place to start.

Whatever you do, do not go to five different sources and select the minimum storage amounts from each one.  If you select the minimums from various sources, you’ll be storing fewer calories and less balanced nutrition. 

Most people reading this blog are not newbies at this.  However, as more and more people wake up to our awful situation in this country, we’re likely to run into a couple of people looking for guidance.  Just pointing people to this blog might overwhelm them.  This simple list from BYU provides an easy place to begin that you can share with others who are just getting started.  While I personally think things could fall apart any moment now, perhaps it isn’t too late to get started. 

 

An Approach to Longer Term Food Storage

Department of Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science, Brigham Young University

Revised September 2019

The amounts of food listed below provide adequate calories and protein for an adult for one year.  However, there are many other possibilities.  Adjust the kinds and amount of food stored based on personal needs and preferences, and by experimenting with recipes. 

·       Water is a critical storage item.  A common recommendation is to store 14 gallons per person for a two-week supply and to rotate the water periodically.  Because it is difficult to store large amounts, a means of water purification is needed.

·       Shelf life:  Long-term food items (most packaged in low oxygen) will generally have an acceptable taste for at least 30 years (except as noted) when stored at room temperature or below (but not freezing); however, some nutritional losses will occur.  Foods stored at higher temperatures (e.g., in attics, garages) will have a much shorter shelf life.

·       Short-term food items that must be rotated faster than used could be donated to a food bank before their expiration date.

·       Bolded items are available at Home Storage Centers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and through the on-line store at store.churchofJesusChrist.org.  (Approximate weights are calculated from weights listed under “Prepackaged Items” shown on the “Home Storage Center Order Form.”)

Long-Term Food Items—at least 30 year shelf life

Per Person Amount Per Year

# Cases (6 cans per case)

Approx. Weight (lbs)

Grains (types are somewhat interchangeable based on individual preferences)

     Wheat

24 #10 cans

4

132

     Rice, white

12 #10 cans

2

65

     Oats, rolled

12 #10 cans

2

29

     Pasta (Macaroni or Spaghetti)

6 #10 cans

1

21

Legumes (Beans, Split Peas, Lentils)

12 #10 cans

2

62

Milk, nonfat dry (15 year shelf life)

12 #10 cans

2

49 (or 28 pouches)

Sugar (or other sweeteners—see below)

12 #10 cans

2

70

Apple Slices, dried

6 #10 cans

1

6

Potato Flakes

12 #10 cans

2

22

Carrots, dried (10 year shelf life)

3 #10 cans

--

8

Onions, dried

1 #10 can

--

2

Salt, iodized

8 lbs

 

 

Baking soda (for baking and to soften old beans)

1 lb

 

 

Baking powder

4 lbs

 

 

Vitamin C tablets (90 mg)

365 tablets

 

 

 

 

 

 

Short-term Food Items

Approx. unopened shelf life (years)

Per Person Amount Per Year

 

Fats and Oils (types are interchangeable based on individual preferences; storing a variety of fats/oils helps with rotation

     Cooking/Salad Oils (e.g., soy, olive)

1+

2 gallons

 

     Shortening/Frying Oils

1+

3 cans of 3 lbs each

 

     Butter/Margarine (stored in freezer)

1

6 lbs

 

     Mayonnaise/Salad Dressings

1

3 quarts

 

     Peanut Butter/other butters

1+

6 lbs

 

Fruit Drink Mix (or bottled multi-vitamins)

2

3 #10 cans (or 8 pouches)

 

Spices/Flavorings/Bouillon/Condiments

2+

--

 

Eggs, dried (for baking, not frying)

3+

2 #10 cans

 

Yeast

5+

2 lbs

 

Other sweeteners (e.g., honey, molasses, brown sugar, jams, jellies, syrups)

Storing other canned or dried fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. will increase variety and nutritional value

 

 

 

 

Nonfood items

 

 

 

Can opener

 

 

 

Grain grinder

 

 

 

Recipes that use only stored ingredients

 

 

 

Links to related posts:

Calories and Recommended Food Storage Amounts

References:

https://brightspotcdn.byu.edu/b1/4d/75fc449e4ce9843daa701f69faa4/an-approach-to-longer-term-food-storage.SEPT2019.pdf



[1] This list is not perfect.  One mistake to note is where it states that grain “types are interchangeable based on individual preferences, e.g., 1 case of rice for 1 case of wheat”.  This is not completely true; a case of oats does not have the same number of calories as a case of wheat.  A case of oats weighs about 12 pounds.  A case of wheat weighs about 33 pounds.  Pasta is also not interchangeable.  While spaghetti packs densely in a can, macaroni and other pasta shapes have a lot more air.

 

12 comments:

  1. I have one big point and a couple minor quibbles.
    Vitamin c - everything i have seen says most vitamins keep their value for years except vitamin C. So i consider these are things i need to rotate often. The powdered vitamin c / electrolight powder has a longer shelf life.

    Minor points - I find most LDS lists have a lot of salad dressings as oils. I cant imagine going through as much as they suggest in a year, so i tend to store more mayo and lard. Make sure the can opener is a manual type. Make sure you store different types of rice because of the different uses. I like to mix up the wheat with some other grains like barley, rye or quinea.

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As noted above, this is basically a starter list for a newbie. Maybe the newbie will buy everything, stick it in a corner and forget it, and never use or rotate it. Or maybe the newbie will become truly serious and study up on the shelf life of things like vitamin C and oil.

      Some people eat a lot more salad than others. We have it several times a week here. But I would never store salad dressings. They go rancid too quickly, and now they are too expensive anyway. I store the ingredients and make my own. And as mayo doesn't last too long, either, I make my own mayo as well. Love lard. Love wheat. I have a little barley. People should store what they will eat.

      Thanks for all the thoughts. Hopefully people will read and consider their own food storage program and tweaks to be made.

      Delete
    2. Many young adults who have the required disposable income want to "eat fresh" today. They prefer to pick up fresh products from the supermarket on their way home, gather fresh organic produce from their next couple of meals, and try out the latest recipes they've come across when they get home.

      For meals that they are too busy to cook, they simply "order out." I certainly understand their approach. Who could disagree about the likely health benefits of eating fresh and cooking from scratch, and who doesn't like to frequently eat food from their favorite restaurants?

      The danger here is that they are so focused on their lifestyle that they are woefully dependent on their reliance on the supply chain. When the pantry contains mostly herbs and spices, these young people will be the first to suffer enormously if/when "things go south" (and, no, ketchup does not count as a veggie.)

      While it would obviously be possible--and even ideal--for young people to have both an "eating fresh" philosophy AND a well-stocked pantry of basic staples for long term use, I expect that this doesn't happen very often in real life. They usually came to a fork in the road and made their decision concerning the path they will follow, one that will not serve them well in hard times.

      Delete
  2. Jennifer... thank you for this "basic" reminder. I will review what I have in long-term storage and use this list as a cheat sheet against what I have; perhaps that way I can make sure I am balanced in my food preps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other point, i like to keep a 3 to 4 month supply of beans as canned. Rotating as we use them, they dont last as long as dried beans but they use less water to cook and take less time to prepare which can become important sometimes.

    Also be careful where you store stuff. I have some #10's of freeze dried and noticed some oozing from a stack of boxes. Turns out do to my mistake one box had a couple cans of 5year shelf life taco meat precooked. Since they were in with the cans good for 40years i didnt rotate them.. one bulged, split and made a very unpleasent mess. Now i try and keep similar lifespan good together.

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 1950's Civil Defense 1 gallon of water per person per the 14 days hiding in a fallout shelter will never go away. If you were just to lay about in a smelly shelter unwashed eating canned foods it will barely work.

    Please store 5 gallons of water per person, per day as a minimum. A gallon for drinking, a gallon or so for cooking all those dry foods, and a couple for washing up a bit (Helmet bath with washcloth and basic dishes).

    Heaven help you if you have any wounds to wash or babies-toddlers-elders or even just sick people to clean up with even 5 gallons per person/day storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a starter list for newbies. They will at least have something. The rest of us would be horrified at the thought of only storing the bare minimum of anything. Some of the lists out there recommend 2 gallons per person and a lot more of babies and elderly are involved.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for reminding us, I realize some of my storage needs upping.
    I have a lot of this list. One thing I've come to really dislike--- all those giant buckets of wheat. I got old somewhere along the prepper path. I hope to never need them ( and certainly can't use them), but of course keep them for my family. Though I hope they don't need them. Meanwhile, those wheat buckets are heck to move and store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love my wheat and use it all the time. However, I don't enjoy moving it. I think I have 25 of the larger buckets left.

      Delete
  6. A suggestion I would make to a newbie, is to store coconut oil. It has a decent shelf life for oil, and can be used many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Ghee, its got a very good shelf life.

      Exile1981

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think coconut oil is the best. It's like the duct tape of the food storage world.

      Delete

Pine Pitch for Preparedness Purposes