I’ve never been afflicted with a urinary tract infection (UTI), nor has anyone in my immediate family. I don’t know whether they afflict any of our relatives. It’s not a topic of conversation when we gather. I do have a good friend who got them all the time until she started using oregano essential oil. As has been covered in another post, women are most commonly affected by them. It’s usually a matter of their plumbing—genetics—so there’s not much they can do to change that.
A study published last week focused on UTIs in Southern California and their possible relationship to contaminated meat sold in local stores.
Escherichia coli, E. coli, is the bacteria most commonly implicated in UTIs. What this study found is that in nearly 20% of UTI cases, the bacteria causing the UTI is the exact same strain found in the meat being sold in the local grocery stores! So even though a UTI is not a form of food poisoning, in a roundabout way, it kind of is. Bizarre, right? Because it is coming from the meat!
The raw meat most often at fault is turkey, followed by chicken and pork, and then beef. While women continue to be afflicted to a much greater degree than men (due to differences between the sexes in their plumbing), it was also shown that people in lower income groups are disproportionately affected. They have a 60% higher risk of developing a UTI. Is it because they are less educated in proper hygiene? Or is it because stores in their neighborhoods are not as clean? Is it due to improper handling procedures? Or is it a combination of factors? Would stricter procedures and surveillance reduce the risk of transmission?[1]
Researchers note that over 50% of E. coli sepsis cases begin as a simple UTI.[2] They advise that immunocompromised individuals, older adults, and those with chronic conditions should be even more careful when handling raw meat, even if it is frozen. Preventive measures include the usual—proper handwashing, avoiding cross-contamination, and thoroughly cooking the meat.
So what can we do to reduce our risk for contracting a UTI? Raising our own meat in clean conditions and processing it at home is one way to reduce the risk. Those who are already at risk should perhaps be excused from handling the raw meat. In addition, the meat must be thoroughly cooked, and of course, strict hygiene measures should be observed. As turkey and chicken are the most commonly contaminated meats, perhaps consider avoiding those meats at church socials or neighborhood dinners. While our friends would never deliberately undercook their meat, the duties of planning an event may distract them and prevent them from overseeing this critical job well. We’ve encountered undercooked chicken at a couple of dinners with friends, and it’s always uncomfortable to leave food on the plate. Most people go ahead and eat obviously undercooked meat to avoid offending a friend. I know I did that when I was younger.
And finally, if you’re like me and always overcooking the meat (much to the sorrow of your spouse), just share that you’re concerned about UTIs and food poisoning. Offer to let them take over the cooking if they are concerned.
References:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/urinary-tract-infections-contaminated-meat-study/ (Plain English article on the topic.)
After moving, in my mid-fifties, to a humid, perpetually hot climate (always sweating), I started getting UTIs. Never had them before this. My own personal doctor at the time was a holistic MD. He said that many women as they approach, or are in, menopause, and the fact they usually eat poultry more often than men, are more prone to these. He recommended d-mannose powder. With the first dose, 1 tsp in water, my symptoms were gone. Several months later I got another UTI. Once again, D-mannose eliminated it immediately. My doctor thought I should try taking a dose everyday as pro-active approach, which I did. Because I don’t like to take more supplements than absolutely necessary I started titrating my doses downward. Every other day, then down to every second day, etc. For the last 10-plus years I have been taking a teaspoon twice a week, and on a few occasions have skipped a week, maybe ten days. No more UTIs. That is one supplement that I know that absolutely works. I will never be without it, and tell every woman I know to always have some on hand. The pure powder has no taste other than a pleasant, slight sweetness. It dissolves very easily in water. Bulk Supplements from Amazon is a good price and I think rated well on Consumer Lab. Now brand powder is another one I have used with success and available in smaller quantities than Bulk Supplements brand.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your experience. I'm sure the UTI sufferers will appreciate this information.
ReplyDelete