Friday, October 24, 2025

Bacon-Onion-Cheese Pop Tarts--Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Cafe

Courtesy of the Zucchini Quiche from two days ago (which Aaron is still talking about—in a positive manner, by the way), I had some leftover pie crust.  Obviously, as the quiche only required a bottom crust, and the pie crust recipe is for a double pie crust.  A forward-thinking person might have recognized this and halved the recipe to avoid the leftovers; someone who is subconsciously thinking that an apple pie might be desirable would not. 

My better judgment (or perhaps, fatigue) ruled the day, however, and I didn’t make the pie.  The leftover pie crust dough went into the refrigerator.

Aaron’s working swing shift for part of this week. (Oh my gosh, three days of not having to make dinner.  Whatever shall I do?)  He’s appreciating being able to sleep in a little bit, especially with the turn in the weather.  So I thought it might be nice to make him a little breakfast.  Just a little, and something out of the ordinary.  And something that used leftover pie crust dough. 

That something turned out to be some bacon pop tarts that I’ve been wanting to experiment with.  I don’t know if the result is five stars, but it is sure at least four and a half. 

Bacon-Onion-Cheese Pop Tarts

Pie crust, recipe follows

4 strips of bacon

½ cup diced onions

½ cup shredded cheese

1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon milk, optional

 

Make the pie crust.  Preheat oven to 400°F.

 

In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until almost crispy and remove it to a paper towel to drain.  Sauté the onions in the bacon grease, cooking just until translucent. 

Roll out the dough to about 1/8 – ¼” thickness.  Cut circles with a large glass or round cookie cutter. Place half these circles on a cookie sheet.  In the center of each circle, place one teaspoon each of crumbled bacon, onions, and cheese.  Cover with another pie crust circle and seal edges with a fork.  Brush tops with egg wash, if desired. 

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. 

Pie Crust

2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup lard

6-7 tablespoons ice water

Combine flour and salt in a small mixing bowl.  Cut in lard until mixture is crumbly.  Add water 2 tablespoons at a time until a nice dough forms.  You may not need the final tablespoon.  

Divide dough into two balls.  Roll each ball out between two sheets of waxed paper and use the waxed paper to help transfer the dough to the pie plate. 

 

Family reviews:  Tasty little buggers.  We basically snarfed these right up.

Chef’s review:  I don’t know that I would go to the effort of making a pie crust just for these, tasty as they are.  However, if the dough is leftover?  Absolutely.  I’d just halve the remaining ingredients.  Which means it’s a great way to use up a tiny bit of leftover bacon, onions, and cheese.  You know, in case you didn’t want to make a baked potato for lunch to use them up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment