Last Monday, before leaving for a writing conference in Utah, I harvested all the zucchini. All the squash plants had been nipped by frosty temperatures, and it was quite possible to lose the plants entirely. Better to have tiny zukes inside than none at all. And by the time I returned on Sunday, some had already started to spoil. Naturally, I had to make something zucchini-based for dinner tonight.
Zucchini Quiche
1 ½ cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup sliced onions
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ½ teaspoons salt
4 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 10” pie crust
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium-large skillet, sauté zucchini, onion, and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt. Cover bottom of pie crust with this mixture. Combine remaining ingredients and pour into pie shell.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until custard is set. Serve hot or cold. Serves 6.
Family reviews: So, I was a little nervous putting this together. Yes, it has onion, but really, the star is only zucchini. There’s no support from bacon or ham, or even tomatoes. I thought my husband might not enjoy it. Heck, I wasn’t entirely confident that I would like it. I so wanted to add some bacon. However, I restrained myself, considering that it would be best to limit the recipe to the zucchini, which might reflect our future reality. (Yeah, there is mozzarella, an item that might be in short supply.) The father of the KOTPE (King of the Picky Eaters) and QOTPE (Queen of the Picky Eaters) quite enjoyed this! His first comment regarded how creamy (but it’s not runny) it is, unlike other quiches which are a bit more firm and eggy.
Chef’s review: This is quick and easy, and uses zucchini!
No comments:
Post a Comment