Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Betadine for Whooping Cough?

Today marks six years of writing this blog.  As most of you know, this began as a daily blog of putting my brain on paper for my children.  I figured it would take no more than three months.  I didn’t really know that much.  I was never planning to do any actual research, nor compile any books.  I sure as heck wasn’t planning to do this for six years.  I think I would have run away screaming. 

I should clarify a little bit.  My audience was always my children and interested friends.  I began because my Heavenly Father made it very clear to me that this was something He wanted me to do.  I don’t often share that part, not because I’m embarrassed in any way, but because sometimes people are turned off by that.  I think it’s ok to get people to listen to the message first and then share Who is really sending the message a little later.

I was a bit rebellious about this who endeavor for the first couple of months, then resigned to accepting my fate for another couple of months.  And now for the past several years, I have been so grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with this incredible opportunity to learn.  And I beg each day for His help in remembering what I study and write—at least that I’ll be able to recall the information when it is needed.  ‘Cause my recall seems to lessen each day. 

Thank you for stopping in each day.  I really appreciate it.

Anyway, another one of the mind-blowing tidbits I read this summer and stored away to write on later concerned the use of Betadine (povidone-iodine) to treat whooping cough.  Because whooping cough is a respiratory illness, and the Betadine bottle clearly states that it is for external use only. 

The original article that piqued my curiosity was hidden behind a paywall.  Sad.  So I had to do a little more digging. 

Jackpot.

“Practical use of povidoneiodine antiseptic in the maintenance of oral health and in the prevention and treatment of common oropharyngeal infections” appeared in the International Journal of Clinical Practice in 2015.  This article documents the use of Betadine to manage the following pathogens:

·       Bacteria

o   Gram-positive

§  Enterococcus faecium

§   MRSA 30 seconds exposure, all dilutions

§  Mycobacterium

§  Staphylococcus

§  Streptococcus mutans

o   Gram-negative

o   Bordetella pertussis[1] 20 seconds exposure

o   Klebsiella pneumoniae 30 seconds exposure, all dilutions

o   Pseudomonas aeruginosa 30 seconds exposure, all dilutions

·       Fungi

o   Candida, from 10 to 120 seconds exposure

·       Viruses (in vitro)

o   Adenovirus

o   Coxsackie virus

o   Herpes simplex virus

o   Human immunodeficiency virus

o   Influenza 10 seconds of exposure

§  H1N1

§  H3N2

§  H1N2

§  H5N1

§  H5N3

§  H7N7

§  H9N2

o   Measles

o   Mumps

o   Poliovirus (types 1 and 3)

o   Rhinovirus

o   Rotavirus

o   Rubella

o   SARS 2 minutes of exposure

The article also documents the use of Betadine in the following conditions:

·       Dental-oral

o   Cavities

o   Gingivitis

o   Oral mucositis, four times per day

o   Periodontitis

·       Respiratory

o   Common cold

o   Influenza

§  Avian

§  Swine

o   Sore throat

o   Tonsillo-pharyngitis

·       Urogenital

o   Bacterial vaginosis

In general, use 2-3 tablespoons to gargle for 30 seconds per day.  For existing mouth lesions, gargle for 2 minutes.  For oral mucositis gargle for 3 minutes undiluted.  For preventing illness, gargle for 2 minutes 4 times per day.  Continue for 14 days for upper respiratory infections, or 4-10 weeks for oral mucositis.

Japanese clinical respiratory guidelines recommend gargling with Betadine four times per day for both patients and health care workers.  The Japanese also have a 0.45% spray specifically for using in the mouth.  (1 part Betadine to 22 parts water, about 1 tablespoon Betadine in 1 1/3 cups water.)

Researchers noted no discoloration of teeth or fillings.  It was also noted that usage 4x per day for 2 weeks or 1x per day for 24 weeks did not affect thyroid function.  However, Betadine shouldn’t be used in people with thyroid conditions.  It is only to be used in pregnant and nursing women if strictly indicated, and only to be used as little as possible. 

The tremendous benefits of using Betadine as opposed to antibiotics are the phenomenal shelf-life, being able to reduce antibiotic use, the lessened resistance of pathogens to Betadine, as well as low-cost and ease of use.  It exerts a much broad spectrum of action than any of the other common antiseptics.

Got Betadine?

References:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6767541/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21968967/

Links to related posts:

Skin Preps and Washes 

Betadine for Preparedness  

Do You Really Need Potassium Iodide Tablets? 



[1] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21968967/

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I'm so glad you listened to that "still, small voice in the night". You have blessed many people with your work, more than you'll ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all you do. Have enjoyed your blog for years. All of your books are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both. I really appreciate your words.

      Delete
  3. Just throwing this in as somewhat related -
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7301800/

    It's about SARS-COV2 but is readable and has some specific prep instructions on page 2.

    Good luck to us all.

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat