TL;DR: Make sure to disclose to your doctor everything you are taking—prescriptions, OTCs, and supplements.
Like many of you, I foresee a time when access to medical care is restricted or completely unavailable. Or perhaps doctors are still around, but they no longer have access to their digital references. Or the pediatrician is going his best to advise cardiac patients. Life is wonky, people are stressed, medication options are limited. And people start taking chances with medications.
A few years back, 24/7 Wall Street published an article on the 25 most dangerous drugs in the US. The illicit drugs were no surprise and won’t be reviewed here; however, if you’d like to read that article, you’ll find the address below. On the other hand, included in that list of dangerous drugs were several pharmaceuticals that many of us store for the interesting times ahead. They’re relatively safe when taken alone; however, when combined with other pharmaceuticals, the result can be deadly.
1. Alcohol of all types and percentages of alcohol content can be deadly when combined with benzodiazepines and many other drugs (but not listed in the article). While the original article notes that death due to impaired motor function is a risk with alcohol consumption (something we all know), the other risks to be reminded of are liver damage and failure.
2. Clarithromycin can cause fatal heart complications if combined with calcium channel blockers or statins like Lipitor.
3. NSAIDs like ibuprofen and aspirin may become deadly when combined with other blood thinners, increasing the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and Reye syndrome.
4. Statins like Lipitor, Lescol, and Crestor should never be taken with fluconazole as they will result in muscle weakness and may cause kidney damage or failure.
5. TMP/SMX, also known as Bactrim or Sulfatrim, is a commonly stocked antibiotic that can become deadly when combined with anti-hypertensive (anti-high blood pressure) drugs by increasing the risk of hyperkalemia (too much potassium in the body).
A couple of weeks ago, in response to the article on one of the off-label uses of Pepto-Bismol, Exile 1981 recommended the practice of researching one’s own prescription medications to learn of any off-label uses. After being diagnosed with congestive heart failure, my husband was prescribed spironolactone to be taken on a daily basis. He’s been taking it for a couple of months now and feels much better.
So I looked it up and didn’t find anything noteworthy regarding off-label uses. What I did find was that people taking spironolactone should not take aspirin, ibuprofen, or meloxicam. Aaron loves meloxicam. It’s the only thing he’s found to calm the pain in his thumb joint. He was kinda devastated to learn that. Now, did Aaron share with the cardiologist that he was taking meloxicam? I was there at the appointment, but I don’t recall it being discussed. It’s entirely possible that he wasn’t taking meloxicam at the time. He only uses it for short periods. And he’s never had a problem using it, so he likely didn’t think about any possible drug interactions. I know I didn’t. I do know that the doctor didn’t mention anything about not taking aspirin (which he is already on to prevent heart attacks) or ibuprofen. Is it because there really is no concern? Or because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? I don’t know. Aaron’s now got a question he needs to get answered.
I also have to make a salve that he will be much more open to trying now that his precious pills are contraindicated.
References:
https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/07/25/25-most-dangerous-drugs-3/
Links to related posts:
Fluconazole
(Diflucan) for Yeast Infections
Preventing
and Preparing for Unintentional Acetaminophen Overdose
There are several good books on drug interactions and most pharmacology drug books list the concerning interactions under each drug. I suggest everyone make sure they have at least one of the drug books so you can look up interactions on your own.
ReplyDeleteA few years ago my doctor prescribed two drugs for me and when i looked them up they were incompatible. I brought this too her attention and her attitude was that interaction was very rare so she didn't see it as a concern. My opinion is when the risk is permanent heart damage the patient should be informed of the risks.
Exile1981
I think you have done better coverage of nsaids vs aspirin in the past.
ReplyDeleteMultiple blood thinners are sometimes used, but ALL drugs and supplements should be checked with a doctor or pharmacist when adding a new one. Mixing drugs together can make weird things happen!
On several occasions I have had my pharmacist call my doctor to discuss medication contraindications before filling the prescriptions. He pointed out to me that most doctors cant keep up with the sheer number of new drugs developed or older drugs being approved for additional uses. I always have my pharmacist check for me and my doc says it helps keep him up to speed as well.
ReplyDelete