If you ask what people have in mind for natural pain relief that doesn’t involve alcohol or narcotics, the self-reliant types are likely to recommend willow bark. It’s been used for millennia, before Bayer and Big Pharma came onto the scene.
I have nothing against willows. I’ve got a big one growing not ten feet from me, right outside my bedroom window. Free medicine waiting to be made. Strip the inner bark from branches and dry it. And then boil it for at least 15 minutes. And then let it steep for at least another 15 minutes. And repeat this 3-4 times per day for as long as the pain persists. I’ve blogged about it. And I’ve been grateful that I rarely need a pain reliever.
Because I am a really lazy person. Harvesting bark (I hate harvesting bark) is a lot of work and involves using a knife of some sort. Sharp, pointy things. They are always plotting against me, so I avoid them as much as possible. I do not harvest willow bark or make tea from it; however, I think people need to have options, so I have blogged about it.
I just prefer to do things a little more easily. My go-to pain reliever at home (I confess to only carrying pills when traveling) has been nasturtium leaf tincture. I plant the nasturtiums each spring near the broccoli and cabbage to deter cabbage worms, and they’re worth growing for that reason alone. The fact that the flowers are edible is a bonus, and the ability to make a good pain reliever with the leaves makes them downright phenomenal. The leaves are so much easier to harvest and dry than willow bark.
I just put a dropperful of it in a mug and add boiling water to evaporate the alcohol. If I don’t have any other health issues (I usually don’t), then I’ll make peach tea or hot chocolate with it. No boiling for 30 minutes or more at a time when fuel may be scarce.
Just in case you don’t have nasturtiums, another herb known for its efficacy as a pain reliever is elder leaf. It’s also prepared as a tincture.
Elder Leaf Tincture
Fresh elder leaves
50% (100-proof) vodka
Pack 4 ounces (by weight) of fresh elder leaves into a pint canning jar. Cover with 8 ounces of 100-proof vodka. Replace lid and place in a cool, dark cabinet where you will see it each day. Shake daily for 6-8 weeks.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve and discard the leaves. Pour tincture into amber glass tincture bottles. Label and date. Take 10 drops no more than every 60 minutes.[i]
Notes: If you research elder online and even in some herb references, you’ll eventually find mention of elder leaves and berries being poisonous. Hemlock and monkshood are poisonous. Elder leaves and berries eaten raw in sufficient quantities are emetic (induce vomiting) or purgative (induce pooping). Just like when your dog eats grass. The grass isn’t toxic. Neither are elder leaves and berries.
Links to related posts:
No comments:
Post a Comment