The following is a guest post from Anonymous. With all the disasters and difficulties in communicating, her thoughts are a good reminder and wise counsel.
One of my dearest and oldest friends has been a missionary for decades. She has trained and is a standing volunteer with the American Red Cross for deployments in times of disasters. Today she has deployed virtually to help reunify people who have been separated. I may question the Red Cross at times, but I trust my friend implicitly and am glad she is using her expertise to help those in need. Praying.
Disasters have consequences not often thought of ahead of time. In the thousands of stories I have read, some of the most heart wrenching were of those who were separated from their loved ones. Many were never reunited. Today we have advanced in the areas of communication; however, without modern infrastructure, communication is virtually impossible. I’ve pondered this and have some untested solutions. I’m sharing because maybe, just maybe, these might make a difference.
The basics: Family outings, large group gatherings, travel
1. Never carry all your ID and money in something not attached to your person. I use a bag that goes around my neck with a soft fabric so I can put it under my clothing virtually unseen. In this I carry my drivers license, concealed carry license, credit cards, money and passport. I also add the names and phone numbers of those I’m traveling with should anything happen to me. I have a waterproof bag of the same sort that can be used on the boat.
2. I always dressed my young children in unmatched socks and, when possible, unmatched shoes. It is quick and easy to snatch a young child and change their clothing but often the shoes and socks are not changed. Always carry a full-on face photo of your child and other family members with the hair pulled back. Hair can also be cut quickly.
3. I also use masking tape to write my child’s name, phone number, address and whatever I deem needed (school? Teacher?) and tape it upside down on the inside of my child’s tee/dress so they only need to pull the bottom of their shirt up to show a police officer. I have also been known to tape it to their underwear as well.
4. Have matching family tees in a bright color. Field trips, when I was teaching, were much less stressful when the entire class was dressed in these school tees. If you are ordering them, order larger sizes so all you have to do is pop them on top of the current clothing.
5. Teach your children to yell loudly. Very loudly. And RUN…there are good people out there who will help a child in need.
6. Have a code word and practice using it.
7. Keep extra items like these tees in your to-go bag.
More advanced: In addition to the above should there be chaos
8. Have carriers for infants and toddlers. We had them for hiking; however, I knew they would be perfect for keeping my little ones with me if I had had to carry them to safety. Practice using them and train to be strong enough – especially if you are a grandparent.
9. Do you have places to meet up if something happens?
a. We practiced fire drills at our house and had a plan to meet under a tree across the street. When we actually did have a fire (hidden junction box in an old house), we met up under the tree across the street. All were safe and sound. Since that fire, we have added a portable fire box for important papers that will keep the contents safe from fire and from water. Hopefully, if we ever need it, we will bring it with us. But, if not, it will be findable. Water damage is often worse than the fire itself. I also email myself copies of everything just in case.
b. Do you have a place in your location to meet up? Another’s house, a town building, a field, a barn, somewhere that is walkable in case things go topsy turvy.
c. Do you have a place to meet in the unlikely event you have to leave the country. We, in America, have a large country; however, in Europe, there were too many who were separated as they fled their countries with the onset of communism and Nazism. Have a plan for a country you can most likely get to and get into with an American passport. Preferably without taking a plane.
d. Do you have an address or piece of land in another state if these United States were to close the boarders of states? If so, have the certified deed in hand.
e. Have a passport for everyone in your family. One reason some Jewish people were stuck in a place that cost them their lives is that they did not have passports for everyone and would not leave without their family members. Just get it done. The American passport will currently get you into 188 countries (116 without a visa). That can change at any moment. Especially if countries were not keen on taking American refugees.
f. Again, have a word to use that will identify someone who has changed or grown. Do not expect to always recognize a person after trauma and the passage of time.
10. How are you going to travel/move in a grid down situation. Make a plan and have it available for executing. Practice, practice, practice. We have a back road to exit our place that has a chained gate. I have keys from the owners, and I have cutters to ensure that if there were a forest fire, we could get out that way.
11. Communications will go out. Here is my plan:
a. We have HAM licenses and radios. We have one for the car. Where we currently live, we have no ability to use our radios; however, we will eventually put in an antenna.
b. CB radios in each car/truck. We’re working on this.
c. Paper maps of all the areas you live and may have to travel. Get the ones with back roads. The major highways were built for military purposes and might not be accessible or might be congested. Find ways around reservoirs and dams and lakes that might impact driving. (stock your vehicles with seatbelt cutters and window breakers – especially to remove a child in a childseat)
d. Hand held radios that do not rely on WIFI for each person. I have extras just in case.
e. Passenger pigeons – just kidding
f. Satellite phones. We have 2 so that we can communicate. Practice with them to ensure you remember how to use them. We also use ours for hiking in the National Forests where there is no cell coverage or driving in the canyons around us where there is also no cell coverage.
g. Pencil and paper to leave notes. Remember that pencil will survive the paper getting wet. As will crayon.
12. Leave nothing to chance in these dangerous times. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.
I encourage parents of very small children to have a laundry type marker in their BOB - in a serious SHTF - write the child's ID info directly on the inner thigh +++ also have "dog tags" for the child - around the neck and one tag secured in the shoe
ReplyDeleteGood suggestion.
DeleteWe used to sharpee the name/phone number onto an arm when doing trips with summer camp, upgraded to printable temporary tattoos. A sharpee stayed on active kids hands for 5-6 days.
DeleteFlare gun and air horn are also great ways to get attention quick. I don't recommend giving kids flare guns though. I've had to use a flare gun once in the bush to make it easier for a helicopter to find us.
ReplyDeleteIf it's public information and if its legal in your area you can get the terminal guidance frequency for the air ambulance. In our area it is legal to transmit on that frequency if you are guiding in the air ambulance. So if you are on the ground you can tell them about anything on the ground that could be an issue for landing but you can also tell them you hear them or tell them how far off they are if they don't see you. In some places they want you to have training before doing that.
Exile1981
Things to make EMS cry.
ReplyDeleteNot knowing if someone's kid or pet is inside that burning house.
Having an assembly area like mentioned above helps a LOT.
Not having a current picture of that missing person.
And as an important aside not having a "Code Phrase" that something ISN'T Right also known as a duress code. Useful when someone's using your kid to get you over to the threat.
Also nice is a HIGH-QUALITY fire box with current papers and such to reestablish your life. Things like insurance documents and such.
Really stinks to pull out a cheap firebox filled with smoke and water damaged papers.
Most important is a trusted friend that will take you in in times of trouble and vis versa.
Heard this just recently from the Helene disaster.
ReplyDeleteUse your cell phone's voice mail. Redo it to say your name, where you are, who is with you, whether you are alright or need help--and your location.
Even if there is no cell service, I understand that people trying to call you will get your voice mail and receive the new notification even if they can not talk directly to you.
Ballpoint pen and index cards work much better for taking notes, card stock survives 4-6 dips in water before being unusable.
ReplyDeleteAlso, have an “Everyone get in now” signal. Parents used car horn in 3 blast sequence, friends’s family used 3 gunshots, camp used air horn in 3 blasts.