Monday, April 22, 2024

Top 10 Favorite Herbs That I Never Use

As I noted last week, Exile 1981 requested a list of my top 10 or 20 herbs in response to an article I posted last month.  I realized in putting that list together that there are herbs I use all the time, and others that are favorites, but that I never use.  That begs the question, how can they be favorites if I never use them? 

Well, they’re for special occasions.  You know, like cholera and smallpox.  Or broken bones or appendicitis.  Dread diseases that we strive to avoid in our everyday living.

Juniper.  This top antibiotic, especially for urogenital infections, probably doesn’t belong in this list.  True, I don’t ever use it.  I still have the usnea tincture prepared, and because usnea doesn’t grow right here, it’s more exotic.  More desirable.  (Yes, I know that’s ridiculous. I’ve got juniper growing right up the hill.)  The next time I develop folliculitis (I think my dad had it often) I will try a juniper tincture or salve to see if it will work as well as the usnea tincture.  Juniper is also used for tuberculosis, numerous gastrointestinal complaints, venomous bites, and so much more.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes the most commonly used herbal antibiotic in TEOTWAWKI.

Pomegranate.   It’s been used in developing countries for treating cholera, Shigella, and typhoid fever.

Blackberry.  The root decoction of blackberry is the only herb I’ve found for treating norovirus.

Black pepper/piperine. Whole black pepper tincture is not as effective as piperine, but will work if you run out of the latter and can’t replace it.  You just have to use a lot.  Basically, piperine facilitates getting medications where they need to go, like getting penicillin to penetrate into the central nervous system for treating meningitis.  It synergizes with juniper in treating urinary tract infections.  And so much more.

Arrowroot.  I want it for teething babies (grandchildren!).  In addition, it can also be called into service for snake bites, spider bites, food poisoning, and dysentery.

Catnip.  This herb self-seeds everywhere, worse than a dandelion on steroids, but has so many uses.  I always harvest it because it’s here and it’s easy.  It’s just not my go-to for the common stuff.  Catnip has been historically employed in treating many communicable diseases—smallpox, scarlet fever, measles, liver stress, worms, and much more.  Its superpower is that it’s very safe for children. 

Chrysanthemum.  So easy to grow and harvest, and prepare the tea, chrysanthemum helps manage liver injury, headaches, arthritis, and insomnia. 

Comfrey.  Comfrey’s claim to fame, and the primary reason why I have it, lies in its reputation for speeding the repair of fractures.  It also helps heal superficial wounds and gastric ulcers.

Dandelion.  Obviously, my reason for not using dandelion is because I don’t have access to it.  Thanks to the first settlers in this country, we all have nearly immediate access to it.  The greens make a great salad addition.  The roots are primarily used to manage stomach and kidney issues.  However, since it’s the second year roots that are more potent, I don’t use them.  I just haven’t been able to let them grow that long.  My plan this year is to transplant dandelions to a dedicated bed downwind from the rest of the garden.  Maybe I’ll be able to let them grow then. 

Gumweed.  Gumweed grows prolifically here, it’s easy to harvest, even if it has to be gathered each year, and is used in managing smallpox, malaria, tuberculosis, poison oak, ivy, etc.  As well it has lots of uses for common issues like colds and skin problems.  I don’t like the tea much. OK, at all.  I mean, it could be worse, but there are at least a dozen teas I’d rather drink for dealing with a cold.

Tumbleweed.  Unlike many other medicinal herbs, tumbleweed doesn’t have a wide array of applications.  However, Native Americans used it to treat smallpox.  We’ve got so much here that I could become the national distributor for tumbleweed smallpox treatments.  Well, not that you ever want to even think about something like that.  OK, I have to admit, I failed to gather these last year.  They’ll start appearing in a month or so and be ready for harvest and preservation shortly thereafter. 

So there you have it.  Even if you have medicinal herbs you don’t particularly care for, for whatever reason, you want to be aware of what’s growing around you and the potential uses.  Even if you don’t need them now, someone close to you may need them in the future. 

Links to related posts:

Medicinal Uses of Arrowroot  

Medicinal Uses of Black Pepper/Piperine  

Medicinal Uses of Blackberry  

Medicinal Uses of Catnip  

Medicinal Uses of Chrysanthemum  

Medicinal Uses of Comfrey

Medicinal Uses of Dandelion  

Medicinal Uses of Gumweed

Medicinal Uses of Juniper 

Medicinal Uses of Pomegranate  

Medicinal Uses of Tumbleweed 

1 comment:

  1. Funny but i give weeds to my bunnies and they prefer the dandelion roots best, even over the greens. Only thing they like better is radish tops.

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete