This
new store has the better discounts, and on top of that, the produce
manager seems to be especially selective and discounts all kinds of
things, sometimes quite a few days before the sell-by date. And s/he's
very particular about the cucumbers and zucchini. Each time I have
shopped, there have been several bags of discounted cucumbers and
zucchini, with usually half a dozen for 99 cents. Of the at least three
dozen that I have purchased in the last month, only one cucumber was
unusable.
Anyway, we ran out of dill pickles for my husband's lunches last week. I'm pretty sure I have some packed somewhere. I recalled reading in The Tightwad Gazette many years back about a reader tip for saving money on pickles. If I remembered correctly, all a person had to do was slice up a fresh cucumber and put it in the empty jar of pickle juice. In a few days, you would have pickles. So we gave that a try. After three or four days, the cucumber slices weren't very pickle-like. So I added some salt, vinegar, dill, and pickling spice and waited a few more days. The result was pretty respectable, especially for having started with store-brand pickles.
So then I got to thinking that there must be a recipe somewhere for making pickles with fresh cucumbers and just putting them in the fridge, totally bypassing the water bath canning. I'm not opposed to canning--I love it--but my first attempts at making pickles ten years ago didn't warrant any second attempts.
In all the preparations we have made food storage-wise, we haven't planned on having a whole lot of refrigeration. We plan for some, naturally, to protect my husband's insulin, but we anticipate that when things truly fall apart, we will not be able to refrigerate everything and insulin with be the priority. But COVID showed us that we can be hit with interesting times and still have electricity. So knowing how to make refrigerator pickles might be a good idea. Especially with all the shortages affecting so many different products. Pickles haven't been hit yet, but you never know what will be next on the list of difficult-to-find items.
After using four cucumbers to make a pasta salad, and Ellie protesting that she needed at least four to snack on through the week, I was allowed the remaining cucumbers to experiment with making refrigerator pickles.
Here's the recipe I used:
Refrigerator Pickles
For each quart jar of pickles:
1 1/2 cups water, boiled and cooled
1 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons dill seeds
1 tablespoon kosher salt (or 2 1/2 teaspoons canning salt)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
3-6 cucumbers, depending on size, whole or sliced as desired
Place the salt and spices in the jar. Add the cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of the top of the jar. Add the water and vinegar to the cucumbers and cover with a lid and band. Shake for a few seconds to distribute the spices. Refrigerate for one week, shaking the jar for a few seconds each day. These will last up to six months in the refrigerator.
Notes.
Based on other reviews, I omitted the red pepper flakes because I knew
my husband wouldn't like them. If I were making the pickles for me, I'd
probably only use half the amount called for.
Jennifer, you'd be an awesome neighbor when the grocery store isn't available.
ReplyDelete