Russian thistle sounds innocuous enough. But it's actually the bane of my existence. And that's because Russian thistle is the nice name for tumbleweed. We grow massive tumbleweeds here. And each one has about a quarter of a million seeds. With a near 100% germination rate in a bad year. So if you don't kill every single tumbleweed on your property, they'll all be back next year. Even if you do kill them all, they'll be back, because your neighbors didn't kill them all.
Tumbleweeds are also known as wind witches. The name fits. The Latin genus name is Salsola
in reference to the plant's high tolerance for salty soils. All of the
following species are considered Russian thistles and tumbleweeds: Salsola kali, S. iberica, S. pestifer, S. australis, S. tragus. And all, interestingly, can also be gathered as young shoots and plants for seasoning food as a salt substitute.
As far as medicinal uses go:
Ant bites and bee and wasp stings can be treated with a spit poultice of
chewed plants applied to the location of the bite or sting.[1]
Worms are treated with an infusion of the plant leaves.[2]
Influenza is treated with an infusion of the plant ashes.[3]
Smallpox is also treated with an infusion of the plant ashes. This infusion is also used as a wash for the smallpox sores.[3]
Russian thistle is purportedly a good source of fiber, protein,
magnesium, and calcium. The young shoots are supposedly good in a
salad; older shoots are nice sauteed.[4] It's important to know these
things so that you can help your neighbors find food to eat when their
supplies run out.
Links to related posts:
Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Cafe--Tumbleweed Rice
Worms in Armageddon
References:
[1]https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Salsola+tragus
[2] Steven Foster, et al., Western Medicinal Plants and Herbs, 2002, 241.
[3]http://naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/s/salsola-kali-ruthenica=prickly-russian-thistle.php
[4]https://drhealthbenefits.com/herbal/herbal-plant/health-benefits-of-russian-thistle
https://www.desertusa.com/flowers/tumbleweed.html
Hello! I’m new to your blog and am enjoying it very much! I read your Sunday post with interest—who are we truly responsible for? I tried to comment then but for whatever reason couldn’t. Anyway, I’m of the same faith as you and it’s my opinion that we’ll be asked to literally “bring our tithes and offerings to the storehouse”. In other words, when the shtf we’ll need to give our preps to the bishop and live the law of consecration. Am I wrong? I just always thought that’s what will happen. It will relieve us of having to decide whom to help. But it will also be difficult seeing the grasshoppers eating us ants preps. If that’s how it works—who knows? What are your thoughts?
ReplyDelete—Melanie
Hi Melanie,
DeleteWelcome to the blog and thanks for a great question.
I typed out what is apparently too long of a response. And as I looked it over, I decided it would work as an article, so it will get posted tomorrow. I hope you find the information here helpful in your quest to prepare.
We get them up in Alberta as well,
ReplyDeleteExile1981