Friday, March 3, 2023

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Cafe--Yogurt Fruit Dips

You know, powdered milk is one of the most essential foods to store, and yet it is perhaps the item most neglected.  For many people it’s difficult to rotate—because no one wants to drink it—and for all of us it’s just really dang expensive. 

And it’s even more expensive now than it was just a year or so ago.  While prices are up everywhere—and the costs at the Home Storage Centers (HSC) are no exception, milk at the HSC is still the best buy by far.  And it is finally back in stock.  Because I hadn’t been able to get any in about a year, I wanted to buy two cases.  Nope.  Because demand is still apparently high, there is a limit of one case per purchase.  So I went with that.  With shipping costs factored in, the cost is still less than 29 cents per ounce, must less than other brands, and it is much more nutritious than anything else on the market.  We’ve covered all this in other posts. 

The powdered milk hurdle is still a high one for many people, however, and attempts to persuade otherwise often fall on deaf ears.  But like Don Quixote, I’m here again charging at windmills.  And so today, I present a few more recipes for making more good eats to serve at your own TEOTWAWKI Café. 

Tuesday I made a gallon of yogurt, and yesterday I strained half of it to yield some thick and creamy Greek yogurt, exactly what is needed for making the following four yogurt fruit dips. 

Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips, optional
 
Combine the yogurt, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.  Dip fruit into the yogurt dip, and then into the mini chocolate chips, if desired.  Yield:  ½ cup dip.
 
Honey-Cinnamon Yogurt Dip
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Combine everything in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.  Yield:  ½ cup dip.
 
Lemon Yogurt Dip
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
 
Combine everything in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.  Yield:  ½ cup dip.
 
Strawberry Yogurt Dip
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon strawberry jam
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Combine everything in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.  Yield:  ½ cup dip.
 
Reviews:  Five test subjects today, all with different tastes.  Aaron and King of the Picky Eaters liked the honey-cinnamon dip best.  KOTPE also liked the peanut butter dip; Aaron did not like it, but he doesn’t like peanut butter that much.  Buttercup and I liked the lemon yogurt dip best, with the peanut butter one a close second.  We really did not like the honey-cinnamon dip.  Becky only liked the peanut butter dip.  Nobody favored the strawberry yogurt dip.  It wasn't bad, but it just tasted like regular strawberry yogurt.
 
Links to related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat