Tuesday, March 21, 2023

DMSO for Doomsday

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Making the Most of Powdered Milk in Your Food Storage, the 3rd volume of articles from the Prep School Daily blog, is now available on Amazon.  With over 130 family-friendly recipes using powdered milk—without a hint of that powdered milk taste—your family will have no idea there's a crisis. 

Disclaimer.  I am not a licensed health practitioner.  This is just another post on knowledge and understanding you might wish to acquire in advance of a disaster in case no higher care is available.  As long as our society is functioning, you should leave anything more substantial than applying a Band-Aid to the professionals.  No medication, including those available over the counter, should be taken without consulting a physician.  Information shared here is for educational and entertainment purposes only.  It is not medical advice nor a substitute for licensed medical care. 
 

Several years ago, QOTPE and Ellie spent a week at camp, and my sweetheart and I got to spend that time taking care of their sheep, about half a dozen Miniature Cheviots.  Of course, as luck would have it, the ram, Ben, got loose.  My husband and I spent some time trying to recapture him, and he was most definitely not interested in returning to the fold.  After all, there were so many fruit trees and berry bushes to eat.  And besides, we were not his shepherds; he didn't have to listen to us.

We continued playing this silly game for half an hour or so, when Ben decided he was done and would return.  But not before he turned on his inner bull.  And he starts charging down the hill, straight for me.  Though he is a miniature, he still weighs a little over a hundred pounds.  And his head is very hard.  I wasn't too concerned; the girls had said that he didn't ram people who were looking at him, that he only rammed from behind.

I really should have known better.   Ben the bull, charging an easy 90 miles an hour, rammed directly into my thigh.  I'm still in shock that he didn't completely bowl me over.  Anyway, at that point I decided my husband and son could handle the sheep rodeo, and I limped inside to deal with my leg.

I immediately applied DMSO (and some essential oils, but I can't remember which right now) and ice packs to the area where Ben slammed into me, cursing him all the while.  I just knew I'd be black and blue and limping.  I watched my thigh that evening for the bruises to appear, but they didn't.  So I went to bed, figuring they'd be there in the morning.

Next morning.  No bruises. Nothing.  I was a little perturbed.  I mean, that little bugger really rammed me.  It hurt!  And now, nothing to show for it?  People might think I was making much ado about nothing.  But he really did slam into me and my 50+ year old thigh.  There was absolutely no bruising no matter how hard I looked, and only the tiniest bit of swelling.  I kind of felt a little cheated.

Anyway, the DMSO did its job.

Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) sounds like another one of those scary chemicals that idiotic reporters and environmentalists get all worked up about.  It's right up there with dihydrogen oxide (water) and iron oxide (rust). DMSO is actually a natural substance derived from wood pulp.  Tens of thousands of studies have been conducted using DMSO, but as it's another one of those naturally-occurring plant substances that Big Pharma can't patent and sell for big bucks, you're not likely to hear much about it from your doctor.  You're going to have to do your own research on it.

And because there is so much written on DMSO and its healing effects so vast, there is no way I can cover all of it here.  One of the addresses I've posted below is to a 60 Minutes article on the healing effects of DMSO.  It's a place to start.  The rest of the addresses are for more general public articles as well as just a small sampling of research studies at PubMed, a government database with more than 30 million articles related to medicine.

DMSO has been successfully used in managing so many conditions, but probably the most pertinent to the preparedness-minded in general involve treating injuries to joints and muscles and chronic pain like arthritis. However, it should be noted that the FDA has only approved the usage of DMSO for one condition--interstitial cystitis.  Veterinarians have used it for years to treat horses. 

While DMSO can be taken internally, it is more commonly used topically.  When used topically, DMSO works alone or in conjunction with whatever medications or herbs (in the form of tinctures or essential oils) you mix in.  DMSO penetrates the skin very quickly to promote healing, carrying the substances that were intentionally added to it, as well as whatever else is on your skin at the time.  Always wash your hands and the skin you will be applying the DMSO to very well prior to application. 

In general, DMSO is diluted with distilled water to a 50% strength for applying above the waist, and to a 75% strength for using below the waist.  If you are mixing your own, as opposed to buying DMSO that has already been diluted, be aware that the mixture will become warm.  Let it cool before using.

How often DMSO is used and how quickly it works depend on the condition being treated.  DMSO is more effective and works more quickly in acute conditions (sprained ankle) than in chronic conditions (arthritis), but it can still be very helpful for the latter.  It just takes longer to start working.

For acute conditions, apply DMSO lightly with a clean cotton cloth to the affected area three times per day and let it soak in for 20-30 minutes.  Do not rub it in.  Apply aloe vera afterwards to prevent skin irritation.    If there is no improvement, quit using it.  If there is improvement after 3 days, reduce usage to two times per day for three days, and then once per day for three days.

DMSO may cause a sensation of warmth or stinging after application.  You may also soon (like within ten minutes) develop garlic breath.  It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is very common, especially in men.  It's not a cause for concern nor a reason to discontinue use.

DMSO can be purchased at health food stores, ranch and feed stores, and from Amazon and elsewhere online.  You can get pure DMSO, which is what I do, or get it pre-diluted to various strengths.  Make sure you are getting food or pharmaceutical grade, or even vet grade.  You do not want industrial grade.

Notes:  DMSO is a solvent, just like water is a solvent.  Water dissolves sugar, and yet neither one of those is a scary item.  DMSO will dissolve synthetic fabrics, so be careful with your clothing and upholstery.  DMSO freezes at 65 degrees F. 


For further reading:
https://www.alternative-medicine-digest.com/dmso.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3510103 (general info)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3916302 (general info)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1093465 (general info)
https://draxe.com/nutrition/supplements/msm-supplement/ (general info)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19380203 (arthritis)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27031833 (arthritis)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31191316
https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/bone-joint/bursitis/ (bursitis)
https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/bone-joint/best-remedies-for-tendonitis/ (tendonitis)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XEt0n6LPrk  (60 Minutes interview with man behind DMSO)
https://earthclinic.com/supplements/dmso/ (hundreds of testimonials for DMSO uses)
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/7/cover_dmso/Page-01
http://www.healing-haven.com/Benefits-of-DMSO.html

 12.23.19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat