Saturday, November 21, 2020

Pecan/Mock Pecan Pie

I read the news each morning.  The reports get crazier each day.  Even though I’ve prepared for events ranging from personal disaster to Armageddon, I simply could not have imagined the insanity and depravity engulfing this formerly great nation.  I’m grateful for each additional day to learn and prepare.

When I was younger, it became popular to use Ritz crackers to make a mock apple pie.  I never tasted one of those, but I heard from quite a few people that it tasted just like the real thing.  I'm still skeptical about that.  Anyway, I didn't think oats could pass as pecans, but I could be wrong.  I figured it was worth a try. 

The following recipe for pecan/mock pecan pie is something I stumbled across last week.  With the holidays approaching, it seems like something worth trying out.  I’m not a pecan pie fan, but I’m not an enemy either.  There are a lot of food storage substitutions in this recipe.  The fewer substitutions used, the more like the original the final product will taste. 

Pecan Pie

Mock Pecan Pie

1 cup maple syrup

1 cup corn syrup and ½ teaspoon maple extract

1 tablespoon molasses

1 tablespoon molasses

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup water + 1/4 cup dry milk

1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” pieces

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon salt

6 large egg yolks or 2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup powdered eggs + 1/4 cup water, or other egg substitute

1-1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

1 cup rolled oats

9” pie crust, unbaked

9” pie crust, unbaked

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine syrup, sugar, cream, and molasses.  Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes and remove from heat.  Cool 5 minutes.  Whisk butter and salt into syrup, and then whisk in eggs.

Scatter pecans in pie crust.  Pour filling carefully on top.  Bake at 350°F until filling sets and the center jiggles slightly when the pie is slightly shaken, about 45-60 minutes.  Cool on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours.  Bring to room temperature before serving.  

Family reviews:   First off, I used the following substitutes--corn syrup and maple extract, powdered milk, and coconut oil.  I used pecans on one side of the pie and rolled oats on the other.  I also used blackstrap molasses, as I thought having enough sugar in there would cover the strong taste, but that is definitely not the case.  My husband, pecan pie and molasses connoisseur, did not find the substitution amusing.  So I said I would throw the pie away, but he said that I shouldn't, suggesting that it doesn't taste that bad.  Jared said it tasted fine, but people would definitely miss the nuts.  I missed the nuts.  Lydia missed the nuts.  Becky doesn't like pecans, so she liked the side with oats better.  Maybe this recipe would work if oats substituted for some of the nuts instead of all of them.  And make sure not to use blackstrap molasses.  Regardless, I'm betting the pie will be gone by lunchtime tomorrow. 

Links to related posts:

An In Depth Discussion of Dry Milk

Coconut Oil

Egg Substitutes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat