Thursday, November 12, 2020

Pandemics, COVID, and the Government

I'm absolutely fascinated by diseases, especially communicable ones, and most particularly pandemics.  I'm intrigued by how people respond, how governments respond, and then how the people respond to the government measures.  In general, people want to prevent getting their loved ones sick and are willing to take drastic measures to protect their families from any perceived threats.  In contrast, however, those in authority want to maintain or increase their power and control people.  Naturally, this conflicts with doing what is best.

In The American Plague by Molly Caldwell Crosby and The Great Influenza by John M. Barry, we see politicians totally downplaying the yellow fever outbreak of 1878 and the influenza pandemic of 1918-1920.  Deals were made so that newspapers didn't report on those diseases spreading through the communities.  Telephone operators were instructed to eavesdrop on conversations and terminate connections that mentioned the influenza pandemic.  Politicians wanted to keep people shopping and continue holding their public events, especially the parade in which Liberty bonds would be sold, like in Philadelphia, which funds were supposedly needed for the war effort.  Panicked people are harder to control and less likely to spend money on politicians' pet projects, most of which are meant to line their pockets anyway.

On the other hand, there are the pandemics that never were--dread diseases that politicians hype up, often to sell vaccines from companies in which they have a financial interest.  Basically, it boils down to two options.  First, there is a serious disease that poses a real threat and which governments deny or downplay for fear of losing control.  Second, there is a disease that poses little to no threat to most of society, but which politicians hype up to create panic and profit personally. 

COVID may be/have been both.  And it may be that COVID is more problematic in crowded cities and more lethal due to a viral load that affects medical personnel.  That's my working theory right now.  I think if COVID were truly pandemic-quality, we would know more people who have died from it.  A friend of a friend, a nurse at the Veteran's Administration in Reno, died early on.  Six months later, in our new congregation, there is a gentleman who recently succumbed.  I know nothing about him or his situation, but gather that he was older and had other medical issues.  Everyone else we know of that has had it--church, work, and among our children's acquaintances and extended family--has recovered, apparently without lasting consequences.  Does it truly qualify as a pandemic?

I think the lessons of the past can be applied to our current situation with COVID.  I've been paying attention to this disease since the very beginning of the year, watching the spread and government cover-ups as it began in Wuhan and went global. 

I also believe that COVID could mutate and become more lethal. 

For now, however, I think we're being played.  The government has lied from the beginning. 

"There's nothing to worry about." 

"Masks don't help protect you." 

Suddenly, masks do help.  Then they're required.  Businesses and schools are shut down.  Then they are permitted to re-open on a restricted basis.  Churches are shut down, but protests and riots are perfectly acceptable.  Bars and casinos are permitted to reopen.  Police officers are instructed not to arrest certain groups of criminals.  We can't get coins, but the mint and the Fed have more coins on their books than they did a year ago.  Maybe this is a measure to usher in digital currency.  Goofy deals are being made behind the scenes.  I just don't know what they are or who exactly is making them.

What I do know, however, is that we are still overdue for a serious pandemic with a high mortality rate.  We need to keep preparing for it.  Gloves, masks, rubbing alcohol, and bleach will be needed no matter what.  Try not to let your supplies run low. 

You've already experienced, undoubtedly, how quickly you will use these supplies--as well as how quickly they will be scooped up by panicked people.  A real pandemic will be far more communicable.  Face masks made of fleece or bandanas offer very little in the way of protection.  They're just a way for government to exercise authority.  Make sure you acquire good quality face masks.  (And no, I'm sorry, I have no idea where you'll find them.  I definitely wouldn't trust anything coming out of China now, but that's just me.)  Purchase plenty of extra gloves.  Buy rubbing alcohol whenever you find it--I'm reading that supplies are still non-existent in some parts of the country. 

Build up your other supplies, if possible.  Doxycycline is the antibiotic of choice for treating diseases caused by many bioweapons.  (You know 2020 isn't over yet.)  Make sure you have a good supply of other medications and supplies as well.  Most of them come from China, and even if things don't deteriorate any more due to COVID, the rhetoric keeps ratcheting up and war can't be totally discounted. 

There's no time like today to get better prepared for tomorrow.

Links to related posts:
Yellow Fever
Influenza

Doxycycline

4 comments:

  1. what worries me more about the whole Covid current situation >>> the sheeple actually think this is a some worst case pandemic - and - "I lived thru Covid 2020 and I'm ready for anything"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way, but I'm afraid you are absolutely right.

      Delete
  2. Great post an thanks for the reminder! I have slacked off acquiring stuff an need to get back into the mindset of get while the getting is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, looks like the getting won't be good for long now. People are panicking again.

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat