I'm all for cutting out the middleman whenever possible. Whether it's buying directly from the producer or supporting small businesses, it's just important to keep things simple and as local as we can. When possible. But when it comes to ice cream and wheat, the middleman is the cow. And whenever possible, it is best not to cut out the cow, because the cow processes the grass and grain and produces lovely milk, cream, and butter.
As a senior in high school, I worked in an ice cream shop where the manager made all the ice cream right in the store. It was delightful. I had a milkshake every day for lunch that year. I still greatly appreciate well-made ice cream.
If you try to make ice cream directly from wheat, it just doesn't work as well.
What follows is not really ice cream. Honestly, it's not even close. But it is cold and sweet, and if you add cocoa powder, it's really not too bad. And it's all food storage.
Wheat Ice Cream
3 cups steamed wheat
3 cups water
3/4 cup dry milk
1/3 cup honey
Steam the wheat as follows:
Create a double-boiler type set-up by putting a few inches of water in a larger pot. In a smaller glass or stainless steel bowl or pot, put 2 cups of wheat, 3 cups of water, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Put a lid on the larger pot and bring the water to a boil. After the water starts boiling, reduce heat and simmer for four hours.
Meanwhile, mix the milk, water, and honey in a blender until smooth. When the wheat is fully steamed, drain it and add it to the blender. Blend very well for a minute or two.
Pour the mixture through a strainer to remove the bran chunks. (This does not need to be a very fine strainer.) The bran chunks can be saved to use in making bread. Pour the liquid onto a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until solid.
When ready to make the ice cream, remove the cookie sheet from the freezer and let it warm up for a few minutes. Use a spatula to scrape up the frozen mixture and place it in a mixing bowl. Use a mixer (with the cookie dough beaters, if possible) to beat until smooth. It may take a few minutes to come together like ice cream.
For further reading:
http://preparetodaywardnewsletter.blogspot.com/2015/05/how-to-make-ice-cream-out-of-wheat.html
- Home
- Alternative Medicine
- Conventional Medicine
- Expanded Food Storage
- Basic Food Storage
- Book Reviews
- Recipe Catalog
- Tips
- History
- Disease
- About Me
- CONTACT US
- BUY BOOKS HERE
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs A - D
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs E - L
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs M - R
- Armageddon Pharmacy Herb Identification Photographs S - Z
- Armageddon Pharmacy Therapeutic Usage Index
- Armageddon Pharmacy + Therapeutic Usage Index
Thursday, July 31, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
(I'm posting on Michael's behalf. He can't make it post on his end, and it's not working for me here, either. I have to a...
-
Asclepias speciosa Asclepiadaceae Full disclosure: I don’t know if I have regretted planting any seeds more than this one. They ...
-
Store what you eat; eat what you store. We’ve all seen that counsel frequently enough. And it’s important. There’s no point in storing...
-
Telfa pads are non-adhering gauze bandages especially useful for wounds that are lightly oozing. They come in two sizes--2x3 and 3x4. ...
-
Well, it probably goes a little beyond that. We already know that a one in ten ER visits involves dental issues. Abscesses, wisdom teeth...
A blog I read posted this video for how the Navy made ice cream in WWII using powdered milk and powdered eggs. It is covered someone who does historical recipes. Don't know if you have seen it but I thought you might find it interesting.
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/Qiyo8D0nH70
Hope the link works.
Hi Linda,
DeleteThat YouTube by Max Miller was quite interesting. My son sent me the link right after it came out, and I made that ice cream in 3 flavors. A post on making that ice cream will appear on Friday.