Sweet alyssum grew freely in the front yard of the house I where I lived as a young child, right along with the johnny-jump-ups. Of course, I had no idea of their medicinal uses. Formal research in that field is quite young. There is, however, a rich history of its use in folk medicine in northern Africa and Italy. It was commonly used to treat scurvy and numerous urogenital problems.
Much of the current research with sweet alyssum centers on the anti-inflammatory effects, specifically with respect to pancreatic lipase. Many researchers today suggest that much of obesity today can be attributed to an inflammatory response in the body. While I am not entirely persuaded that the obesity epidemic in the US is due to anything more that eating the wrong foods and too much of them, I am open to considering the possibility. The ability of a sweet alyssum extract to inhibit pancreatic lipase indicates that it may be of use in weight reduction.
As you peruse the usage list down below, you’ll note that sweet alyssum isn’t a medicinal powerhouse. It’s not one I would go out of my way to grow for medicinal purposes. Other plants will handily cover kidney stones, coughs, scurvy, and liver injury. I could use alyssum as an adjunct with other herbs, and if it helps me lose a little weight, I’ll let you know. I do love to smell them while working outside and they contribute to plant diversity that helps keep the garden healthy. And they re-seed every year, another bonus.
This salt-tolerant plant, one that happens to grow quite well in the desert here, belongs to the Brassicaceae family, along with the cole vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower, as well as the medicinal wonder, dyer’s woad (isatis).
HARVEST
For many conditions, the whole plant—flower, leaf, and root—is used in the various preparations. For others, only the flower and leaf are used. I read somewhere that the pink and purple varieties were a bit more frost tolerant than the white flowers. Can’t remember where, so no documentation for that.
EFFECTIVE AGAINST
- Bacteria
- Gram-positive
- Bacillus cereus
- Essential oil[1]
- Enterococcus faecalis[2]
- Essential oil[3]
- Listeria monocytogenes
- Essential oil[4]
- Staphylococcus aureus[5]
- Gram-negative
- Fungi
PREPARATION
Infusion. Whole plant, 1 cup per day for 30 days.[11]
Tincture. Flower and leaf in alcohol.
PHARMACOLOGICAL PROFILE
- Anti-inflammatory[12] [13]
- Antioxidant[14]
- Antiscorbutic[15] [16]
- Anti-spasmodic[17]
- Diuretic[18] [19]
USAGE
- Gastrointestinal
- Hepatic
- Respiratory
- Skin
- Scurvy[28]
- Urogenital
CONTRAINDICATIONS: Though sweet alyssum was traditionally used to treat respiratory infections in pregnant women, there hasn’t been any modern research to confirm its safe use in pregnancy. Therefore, it should be avoided by pregnant women.
[1] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9605339/
[2] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[3] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9605339/
[4] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9605339/
[5] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[6] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[7] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[8] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9605339/
[9] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[10] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[11] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[12] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[13] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7020505/
[14] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[15] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[16] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7020505/
[17] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[18] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[19] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7020505/
[20] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7020505/
[21] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7020505/
[22] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC8309240/
[23] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[24] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9281954/
[25] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[26] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7020505/
[27] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC5686907/
[28] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC7020505/
[29] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[30] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[31] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
[32] https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC9687265/
This is a wonderful little plant, thanks for posting about it. Draws wonderful little insects. It is pretty sprinkled on a green salad
ReplyDelete