Thursday, April 10, 2025

Cole Slaw Salad Dressing and Pineapple Cole Slaw—Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café

I’ve been doing so well with my goal of not buying any salad dressings at the store.  I hadn’t even been tempted.  And then I found myself at the grocery store at 4PM after taking a stop the bleed course and before heading back home for dinner.  It was later than anticipated, due to a couple of snafus at Home Depot, necessitating a change in meal plans.  I had pulled pork and homemade buns in the freezer, so that became the default dinner.  I also had some cole slaw mix that needed to be used.

What I didn’t have was any cole slaw dressing.  That temptation to buy some was so strong.

But I resisted.  And I realized I needed a recipe to make my own without having to turn to the internet, which obviously won’t work when the grid goes down.

Cole Slaw Dressing

½ cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon vinegar

½ teaspoon pepper

¼ teaspoon salt

In a small bowl, whisk everything together until creamy and smooth.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  If possible, refrigerate overnight before using.

Pineapple Cole Slaw

¾ cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1-2 tablespoons milk

4 cups shredded cabbage

¾ cup canned pineapple tidbits

For the dressing, combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cabbage and pineapple.  Refrigerate until serving.

Links to related posts:

Homemade Mayonnaise

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Medicinal Uses of Hyssop