Friday, September 27, 2024

Tex-Mex Zucchini Skillet—Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café

It’s the same thing every summer—boatloads of zucchini and other summer squash.  That’s the way it is now at my place simply because summer squash grows well and looks good in the yard.  In the future, I anticipate growing a lot of squash because it produces well—a crop is virtually guaranteed.  (Yes, I am speaking as one who doesn’t suffer from squash bugs.)  I firmly believe that people fortunate enough to survive and remain in their homes will be growing a whole lot of squash in the future.  We all will need a variety of tasty dishes to avoid food fatigue.

No one would complain about zucchini cupcakes and chocolate zucchini cake every week, or even two or three times a week.  ‘Course, we’d all be like wearin’ XXXL t-shirts and sweats.

So we have to scout out recipes that are a bit healthier.  Make them food-storage-friendly and quick, and you’ll have grand slam winners.

Which is what we have below.  Get this—King of the Picky Eaters proclaimed it really good.  Yeah, I was shocked myself.

 Tex-Mex Zucchini Skillet

1 pound hamburger (optional)

½ cup finely chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon black pepper

1 cup frozen corn kernels

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (don't drain)

1 can (15 oz) black, pinto, or white beans, drained and rinsed

1 can (4 oz) green chiles, drained

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

½ teaspoon oregano

¼ teaspoon paprika, smoked or sweet

4 cups finely chopped zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis, may also substitute yellow squash)

1 - 2 cups shredded Colby jack or pepper jack cheese

 

Toppings

Tortilla or corn chips

Sour cream

Fresh, chopped cilantro

Avocados

Salsa

Olives

 

In a 12” skillet over medium heat, brown the hamburger, onion, and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper. Add the corn, tomatoes, beans, chiles, cumin, chili powder, oregano and paprika. Stir to combine.

 

Stir in the zucchini and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchini is tender and the mixture is heated through.  Salt and pepper to taste.

 

Reduce heat, sprinkle with cheese, and cover.  Let rest until the cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes. 

 

Serve warm with your choice of toppings.

 

Family reviews:  Basically, it’s an instant favorite.  I’m sure we’ll indulge in it at least once or twice each season. 

 

Links to related posts:

Dealing Doomsday to Squash Bugs  

Chocolate Zucchini Cake 

Zucchini Cupcakes  

 

4 comments:

  1. I’m enjoying your recipes. This is going to be on the menu pronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your family will really enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I add shredded summer squash to most dishes which have browned ground beef such as sloppy joes, American style tacos or taco salad, marinara type sauce, etc. It doesn't seem to matter what type of summer squash is used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I am going to try this too!

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat