It’s been two years since I last wrote an article about killing squash bugs in the garden. Just to be clear here, the subject of today’s article is Anasa tristis, the gray/dark brown bugs that lay eggs which look like little footballs of the undersides of squash family leaves. The squash vine borer, Melitta curcurbitae, is a black and red moth-like critter with a caterpillar-like larval state. Fortunately, I’ve never had to deal with them. Squash bugs are bad enough.
In the two years since publishing my method for dealing doomsday to squash bugs in the garden, I’ve run across a few other ways of controlling them. As we watch the global food situation become increasingly dire by the day, I’m becoming even more convinced of the need for everybody to grow their own food. Zucchini and other squashes are going to be a critical member of any survival garden. We can’t afford to lose these essential productive powerhouses to squash bugs. So we’d better have several preventative measures and solutions we can immediately implement.
Squash bugs eat all types of squash, melons, and cucumbers; however, most sources indicate that their absolute favorite food is pumpkin, with other types of squash following close behind. They will eat melons and cucumbers if they don’t have their favorites available.
The number of generations of squash bugs per season depends greatly on your climate as well as how mild the winter was. Northern states may have only one generation to deal with, while southern states can experience up to three generations. Areas with multiple generations of squash bugs to contend with may not be able to use all the suggestions presented below.
Handpicking. Most every author out there states that handpicking the squash bugs and removing the eggs and then drowning all of them in warm soapy water is the best way of controlling the little monsters. I would guess—but can’t say for sure—that most of these people are also only growing a couple of squash and melon plants. Handpicking might actually be a viable solution in that situation. If you’ve got a lot of squash plants, however, my experience doesn’t support that idea. I grew dozens of squash plants when we lived in Missouri. There was no way I could control them by handpicking, even if I spent hours each day, which luxury I didn’t have then and certainly won’t have in the future. And I’m growing dozens of squash plants this year, and probably for the next several years as well. We’ll all need more weapons than our fingers.
Self-Rising Flour. The self-rising flour method, which I wrote about here (basically, sprinkle self-rising flour on the plants), works really well. In combination with catnip, it might be 100% effective. It was for me for two years, but I still want to have other options.
Diatomaceous earth is more effective on eggs and nymph stages than against adults.
Neem oil is effective on squash bugs of all ages and also helps control powdery mildew. It also doesn’t harm pollinators.
Pyrethrin-based sprays are best used when plants are younger and you won’t be harvesting anything for at least a week.
Trap crops are decoys planted away from the main garden. It is best to use their favorites here. An Oklahoma State University study found that squash bugs favor yellow straightneck and crookneck,[1] though most everyone states that pumpkin is the squash bugs’ favorite. Plant resistant varieties in the garden.
Timing the plantings. Plant a trap crop early and then destroy that crop and all the squash bugs it attracted before the main crop begins to grow.
Floating row covers may work. While there are many companies that will sell you their perfect solution for such situations, a bolt of tulle from Amazon will cost less and work just as well. Regardless of what row cover you use, it must be well secured to prevent bugs from going underneath.
Cardboard. I’m not going to insult your intelligence by suggesting the cardboard trap promoted by others. You can read about that fiasco in the earlier article on killing these beasts.
Synthetic chemical pesticides with carbaryl, esfenvalerate, or permethrin as the active ingredient should work. Permethrin should already be in your supplies as an effective means of dealing with ticks, bedbugs, and other nasties.[2] The synthetic pesticides will be far more effective early in the season than later on. And because squash bugs are pretty good at developing resistance, pesticide use alone should not be relied on.
Companion planting with catnip is effective at repelling squash bugs to some extent. I certainly wouldn’t rely upon it alone. Other plants that reportedly deter these bugs are dill, nasturtium, tansy, peppermint, and spearmint.
Links to related posts:
Synthetic Fertilizers, Pesticides, and Herbicides: Are They Key to Productive Survival Gardens? PermethrinDiatomaceous Earth
The Medicinal Uses of Nasturtium
References:
https://extension.psu.edu/squash-bug
https://extension.usu.edu/pests/research/squash-bugs
https://texasinsects.tamu.edu/squash-bug/
https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/insect/05609.pdf
https://www.epicgardening.com/squash-bugs/
[1] https://extension.usu.edu/pests/research/squash-bugs
[2] https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/insect/05609.pdf
23 march 2024
Wonder if a strong tea made with any of the companion plants, and a liitle dish soap would work to control the bugs? Its just a thought
ReplyDeleteIt's a thought. I hope if anyone tries it out, they'll post results here.
DeleteJennifer, please look at this short article about their lifecycle.
ReplyDeletehttps://ezinearticles.com/?Squash-Bugs---Their-Life-Cycle-and-How-To-Control-Them-Naturally&id=7218450
There are far better but this ones to the point. Chickens cleaning up your garden site and areas around kept squash bugs under control for my Grandmothers truck garden. They ate them up before they could become a problem. Also the chicken manure and composting kept the plants healthy enough to deal with those that survived.
Maybe Guinea Hens might do as they are noted around NE as hades on wheels on ticks (a bad problem) as essentially free range yard art.
Predators love them, sad to say and they are semi-wild and thus hard to protect.
But free ranging and pastured chickens do the job very well also and seem to give better food results.
My chickens would eat everything in garden, so sure, they'd take out the squash bugs, but then everything else would be gone as well. There were so many squash bugs that the plants had no chance against them. I have been trying to figure out how to get my son to let me use his chickens for a few days at the end of gardening season this year. I know they would clean up the bugs really well.
DeleteI've also read the planting oats as a companion crop deters squash bugs, but I don't know that myself.
ReplyDeleteIt would be an interesting experiment.
DeleteJennifer not really to this subject aside from eating well post SHTF but some smart soul did a minimum SHTF diet plan. I checked his-her numbers, and they seem accurate. Maybe an article basis?
ReplyDeletehttps://tinyurl.com/emergency-rations-gf
1 5/8 c rice (uncooked)
1/2 c dry beans
1 c. Powdered milk
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp salt
1 c kale (or other greens)
1 egg
I've been thinking along the lines of minimum number of calories. Adding in the amounts of various foods this equates to sounds like a good article. Thanks for the info!
DeleteWhat I liked about this minimum diet was it seemed to include all the vitamins and enough protein-calories for basic survival. For pregnant women, and hard working folks an extra egg and more beans. Folic acid and muscle rebuilding.
Delete