Thursday, September 19, 2024

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Dijon Mustard DIY and Honey-Mustard Sauce

I keep thinking about that all-important aisle at the grocery store—the condiments, sauces, and salad dressings.  We’re so accustomed to using them that we don’t even call them convenience foods anymore.  They’re just essentials, and it’s like no one ever made or used them before they were available in bottles.  And yet, suggest to a person that it would be prudent to learn how to make such luxuries at home, and you’ll get that deer-in-the-headlights look in response.

I want to be sure I can make these things if I need to. 

And one of those things is Dijon mustard.  My family’s favorite roast calls for two tablespoons of it.  Beyond that, we sometimes use it on sandwiches.  We don’t need a lot to be happy, but we do want some.

This first recipe is for “official” Dijon mustard.

Dijon Mustard

2 cups dry white wine

1 large onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup dry mustard (4 oz)

3 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 teaspoons salt

 

In a non-stick saucepan, combine the wine, onion, and garlic.  Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.  Cool.  Discard the solids. 

Add the mustard to the cooled liquid, stirring constantly until smooth.  Blend in the honey, oil and salt.  Heat slowly until thickened, stirring constantly. 

Pour the mixture into a pint canning jar.  Let it sit on the counter overnight.

Refrigerate for 2-8 weeks to age flavor before using.

Family reviews:  I didn’t actually make the above recipe.  I don’t have white wine and don’t imagine that I will buy it so that I can make Dijon mustard.  But I wanted to include the recipe just in case.  The following recipe yields 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard substitute perfect for sandwiches and my family’s roast.  It’s a snap to prepare and ready to use immediately.

 

Dijon Mustard

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon water

1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (or ½ teaspoon white wine, ½ teaspoon white vinegar)

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

Pinch sugar

 

Mix all ingredients.

And from here we move on to using Dijon mustard to prepare a honey mustard sauce for dipping, salad dressing, or glazing meat.

Unfortunately, coming up with a recipe for Honey-Mustard Sauce is not one-size-fits-all.  Mayonnaise is the base; the ratios of honey and mustard vary.  And then there are the optional seasonings.  If using this as a salad dressing or meat glaze, opt for a higher proportion of honey and mustard.

Honey Mustard Sauce

½ cup mayonnaise

2-8 tablespoons prepared mustard

1-8 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2-8 tablespoons honey

Up to ¼ cup distilled white vinegar or lemon juice, optional

½ teaspoon cayenne, optional, OR

½ teaspoon garlic powder, optional, OR

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, paprika, salt, optional

 

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.  Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.

Note.  The amount of mustard called for ranges from 2 tablespoons to 1 cup total. 

Links to related posts:

Homemade Mayonnaise 

Need Mayo?  No Fresh Eggs?  No Problem!  How to Make Eggless Mayonnaise  

DIY Prepared Yellow Mustard    

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Are You Preparing For?