Here is only the 2nd entry I've received this month for the writing contest. I've been so swamped with everything that I haven't even had the time to post reminders/beg for articles. There's still a few days left for those who wish to enter. Know that I do appreciate it, and I am sure others do as well. The following article comes from Anonymous. I see quite a few of his/her recipes I'd be interested in. Anonymous, can you at least share your potato lasagna recipe?
I just found an interesting list I had made from 2019 – 2020. This list had nothing to do with
world events, it was just something I wanted to see. When did we eat potatoes? And what did
we eat?
The back story is that I have a lot of Irish ancestry and grew up eating potatoes every single day
of the year. We grew a lot of potatoes and stored them in the basement in a cold room where
my father made a storage space for them. Potatoes have a lot of advantages. They grow
relatively easily, are not a favorite food for most animals or insects, and store easily. Of course,
anyone who knows the history of the Irish potato famine will understand the ramifications of
relying on a single crop. Just don’t do it.
No room or inclination to grow your own potatoes, they are still one of the less expensive foods
you can buy. I do not buy prepared potatoes, so am unsure of the cost of processed potatoes.
That is not totally true. I do keep a box of potato flakes on hand for thickening soups and sauces
on occasion.
Another amazing thing about the humble potato is how versatile it is for preserving and
cooking. It can be dehydrated, freeze dried, canned and stored. They are tasty baked, boiled,
mashed, and fried. They can be peeled the day before and stored fully submerged in cold
water. They can be frozen; however, I do not like the change in texture when thawed. I might
freeze extra mashed potatoes for using in cooking if we haven’t eaten them up as potato
pancakes.
Here is my list (of note: I did not relist any potato dishes already used as I was mostly interested
to see what different dishes I made). I am sure there are so many other recipes, but here are
some ideas.
November –
5 th ham and cubed potato bake
12 th loaded scalloped potatoes
17 th sausage and potato soup
28 th Senate Bean Soup
December –
1 st fried potatoes with onions and peppers (from the freezer)
2 nd bean and bacon soup
5 th cheesy twice baked potatoes
8 th tagine veggie side dish
19 th baked cubed potatoes with butter and bay leaves
21 st loaded mashed potatoes
25 th mashed potatoes
26 th potato pancakes
30 th Hasselback potatoes
January –
1 st baked potatoes
5 th (plain) scalloped potatoes
10 th potato soup (hot)
12 th potato rolls
20 th beef stew
29 th shepherd’s pie
February –
2 nd potato cheesy bacon soup
10 th curry tagine
12 th cheesy scalloped potatoes
15 th home canned beef stew
22 nd oven baked potato slices (crispy)
March –
3 rd lemony chicken with potatoes
17 th Corned beef, cabbage, onions, and potatoes
20 th corned beef hash
24 th potatoes au gratin (from my own dehydrated potatoes)
27 th potato lasagna
April –
10 th cheesy scalloped potatoes
15 th meat pie
17 th breakfast burritos with potatoes
20 th hash browns
23 rd potato tacos
Summer months (when I cook fewer potatoes while awaiting the next crop) -
Salt potatoes
Boiled potatoes with fresh parsley
Potato salad
German potato salad
French fries
Corn chowder
Cold creamy potato soup with fresh cut chives
Recipes I have on my wish list –
Potato cake (a dessert)
Smashed potato piecrust for a egg, sausage and cheese breakfast pie
No comments:
Post a Comment