Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Frugal Ideas (Contest Entry)

Today's post is another article by Anonymous.  I truly appreciate her efforts and hope to hear more from her, Hiwall, Valerie, RLew, and the rest of you.  There is just one week left for this month's contest!  Remember, the winner will receive the PSD book of his/her choice.

Here is a list I had made years ago for a friend that was living way above her means because that was all she knew. My "keeper of the family photographs" daughter just found it and sent it to me. I've updated it and passed it on. Tough financial times ahead I believe. This might help someone. 

It’s me, the list maker, back again.
My favorite story about a survivor of the Great Depression is from a granddaughter who, when
cleaning out her family home, found a box of string pieces labeled, “string too short to save.”
That would be me. Raised by children of that time, we were taught not to waste and to stretch
a dollar till is squealed. And, no, you would not know we live under our means. Patience is a
quality worth building.
Recently, my grown daughter found a list I had made for a spendy friend who was having
money troubles. I’d like to share that list here with y’all. Here are 60 ideas to keep the wolf
from the door. The key takeaway here is to take this time of peace to develop the skills
necessary for life. I made a list (I know, I know) when my children were quite young of the skills
I wanted them to have by the time they left home. Handling their finances and the true cost of
things (time, money and upkeep) topped my list.
1. Don’t wait until you cannot pay the bills, plan for the unexpected now. Notice when
things are getting tight and make changes before you are forced to. Financial planning
is a learned skill.
2. If things get bad enough, refinance. But see what you can do first. Downsize rather than
be homeless. There are many opportunities for alternative housing that I would live in
before I’d live on the street.
3. Use junk mail in the printer and for lists
4. Plan ahead for presents – get the bargains or have plenty of time to make them yourself
5. Cut off pants to make shorts. Buy larger sizes for children’s clothing to get extra wear
out of it or to be able to pass down to their younger siblings. Be a part of a parent group
that pass clothing from child to child to child. We did both of these things and it worked
so well. Just hem pants without cutting off the unnecessary material.
6. Shut off the internet and use the library. Inconvenient? Sure is, but free
7. Eat out of storage – use up that older food. Can make for some interesting meals!
Without children at home, I’ve started going periods of time without buying anything. It
really helps me to keep the supplies in check.
8. Shop once a month after the bills are paid
9. Use a consignment shop to find better items and resell outgrown ones. This is the place
to let your children shop.
10. Eliminate phone or reduce to a minimum. This is truly a difficult move to make, so
reduce your plan first. Older phones have finally become a badge of honor in some
circles – like mine 
11. Make do with one car or one car less than you think you need. See how it goes.
12. Take the kids out of costly sports programs and look for less expensive ones (community
programs, school, start your own league/activity)
13. Wash out bags and re-use. Even the odd cereal bag is good for no bake drop cookies
when opened flat. Wash and reuse since cereal is probably on the too expensive to buy
list
14. Carpool with other parents

15. Do not use the dryer, but plan on ironing or steaming if you do
16. Stop paying for tv or movies. Make a list and eventually that movie will come around for
free.
17. Stop the DVD club – I kept this in to show the age of my list. In today’s world, it is stop
the streaming services. Just say NO!
18. Make bread and rolls. Much, much cheaper
19. For presents, it is difficult to ask for money when money is what you really need, so
consider asking for gift cards instead. Most grocery stores even have them. You can also
ask for consumables as well. Especially things that you just know you are going to have
to buy (craft items, specialty coffee or teas you might like, tennis balls, sports
equipment, bathing suits and snazzy towels, etc.)
20. Don’t volunteer to host any large family gatherings. Weigh the costs. Have family
birthday gatherings NOT at mealtime so it is just a cake or cupcakes. Be creative and no
one will know it’s a budget thing.
21. Use a cake mix that uses oil not butter. Sometimes a cake mix is cheaper than having to
purchase special flavors or ingredients. Having one on hand for emergencies helps.
22. Buy in bulk, but store food well
23. If you, like me, like good coffee, try mixing some good coffee with some cheap coffee
and find a mixture you like. When I switched to just cheap coffee, I found I wasn’t even
drinking it.
24. Don’t empty your coffee filter till it is full. Avoid purchasing paper filters by using a
permanent one. If you have a wood stove, heat water for tea or use a non-electric
coffee pot.
25. Unplug or turn off power bars on electric items when not in use. Unless the clock or
timer is needed. Otherwise, it is just a small waste.
26. Install motion detector lights outside your doors. Solar ones are even better. You’ll be
safer and less likely to hurt yourself. Ill health and injuries are expensive and
inconvenient.
27. Use a plug-in flashlight that doubles as a night light. I’ve had one in our bathroom for 2
decades. Never a battery to change and always a light available when the electricity
goes out. It’s also important to have flashlights around the house easy to grab when
needed. Check batteries or charge them monthly. Flashlights are not very useful if they
don’t work when you need them.
28. Keep some cash on hand those children who come to you selling something. Tell them
that you are not interested in buying anything; however, you would love to donate.
Works with coworkers as well.
29. Buy your spouse something they really want or need. We often team up and get
something we want. Usually, it is something that isn’t necessarily a need, but a serious
want. Once we bought the bricks to turn a small side spot into an outside eating area.
Really worked well for us.
30. Save work clothing for work. I even have undergarments that are just for work. I don’t
use them to garden and it makes a difference. Change after work and teach your
children to do the same.

31. Train everyone to remove their shoes at the door. We use good slippers with ortho
inserts indoors. We also use brand new sneakers to exercise inside. This really saves
time cleaning and lengthens the life of your floors. Good indoor shoes also help keep me
from falling as I’m zipping around.
32. Use slip covers even on new furniture. In our family there is a story of an ancestor who
had 2 sets of slip covers on the furniture. Only the very important visitors were able to
sit on the actual couch. We use natural color muslin covers and have for decades. Love
them!
33. Learn to recognize quality, buy quality when you can, and learn how to keep your
possessions in good shape.
34. No balls in the house. Period.
35. Work and Sunday clothing: buy the best quality for the basics in your wardrobe. Make
sure the clothing fits your figure and that you’ll use the clothing. Classic basics rarely go
out of style and can be dressed up or down with more “in-style” accessories.
36. Have your shoes repaired. Also, take your new shoes and boots to the shoe repair shop
to see what can be done to extend their life from the start. I often have skidded soles
added. Good shoes and boots are important to good foot health.
37. Knit Christmas scarves in July – my way of saying to start early on gifts and seasonal
decor. A homemade gift is still the best gift. Quillows (if you sew) from inexpensive or
used fabrics are a wonderful gift. Homemade jams and jellies are perfect as a hostess
gift. Remember that you’ll have to give a present at times and planning saves money
and makes the presents special.
38. Listen carefully – sometimes the gifts people really want are not actually expensive.
39. Skip the holiday and birthday cards. Send the free ecards instead.
40. Make your own laundry soap and use less. You can even wash a load occasionally
without soap. As for stains, attack them immediately!
41. Individualize towels and hang them to dry between showers. Wash once a week.
42. Avoid all magazine or other subscriptions that you can read at the library or online for
free.
43. If that doesn’t work, try sharing a subscription with a like-minded friend
44. Know when to go to the doctor
45. Keep up with your dental cleanings. Prevention is the best cost-effective measure. Have
some rules: no gum, gummy bears, or sticky candy of any kind. Brush within 30 minutes
of eating; if that’s not possible, rinse with water. Floss daily and use a water pick for
crowns and bridges. No soda or juice. Have your children brush at school. Brush at work.
46. Buy a Big Berkey water filtration system that also takes out heavy metals. Saves a
bundle of money over the Britta type systems and is much healthier than buying bottled
water.
47. Keep a change container and let kids “see if there is enough in the change container”
We used to make sure to either get change or sneak in some dollar bills.
48. Walk or bike when you can. Great on the pocketbook and for your health. Be safe
though!
49. Save the best parts of worn clothing for quilts, rags, doll clothing, or whatever you might
need a small piece of fabric for. I also save the buttons in a jar and cut out better

zippers. Don’t know how to mend or sew? There is no time like the present to start. It’s
a great skill to have.
50. Mend right away – before losing the button and having to replace them all.
51. File the warranty and receipt together
52. Buy a durable phone case and a glass screen protector. Might not be as attractive as the
cute ones, but it will help keep your phone from having to be fixed. Replacing phone
screens has become quite expensive on the newer phones. Apple Care is worth
considering as the costs of repairs have risen exponentially. (I use an Otter Box and will
rave about it to anyone who will listen about how great it is)
53. Listen to a free podcast or a free audio book. Our library uses the Libby app and it’s
really a great deal – free! I also listen to music on YouTube or Pandora for free. Yes,
there are advertisements, but free does have a cost sometimes. I’m willing to pay that
price.
54. Save all of your left-over breads (freeze them in a bag until enough for your recipe) and
use for a strata, bread pudding, bread crumbs or croutons.
55. Re-cover worn blankets with quilts, sheets or just a duvet cover.
56. Trim your own hair to extend the time between haircuts. Or, have someone else do it
for you for free. That means that you would want to have a hairstyle that is trimmable.
57. Save some good stuff for guests – crackers, drinks, napkins, towels. I have to hide and
label things
58. Learn when foods are truly rotten and what to do with spoiled foods. For example: block
cheese that molds can have the end cut off and milk that has soured is good for cooking.
Some fruits are still edible with the spoiled parts cut away (apples) and I always cut off
the crusts on bread that is mildewing and toast, grill, or bake with the other pieces.
Chicken breasts that are starting to smell off might just need a good rinse and the fat cut
away.
59. Cooked foods are a way to make food last longer.
60. Host game nights with a group of friends. Take turns. Loads of fun, too!

3 comments:

  1. Great list. I do most of these things - but at 77 I should. #15 - I use a clothes rack to dry everything, then I put just the clothes and towels in the dryer with NO HEAT for 15 min to fluff, works very well. #58 - after a neighbor complained she had to toss a pint of expensive blackberries because one had mold I explained she could have just picked over them, she was amazed. Should mention she in her 30s and is of the 'throw away' mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list! Just retired and things got much tighter. There are things we charge on cards here, and earn bonuses for doing it. Got everything paid off last year and make sure to pay them every month, no interest. Canceled monthly services I didn't know we had, I went digging. Asked our cable company for a discount, it shaved $30 monthly on a 6 month promotion rate, and will keep calling twice a year. Maybe others have a bill they could try it with. I still buy some 40 calorie/slice bread on sale and freeze because I like my sandwiches, but have started making sandwich buns, some small for me, because my 87 year old Mom still bakes her own and I caught the bug. Hubby loves them, so do the grandkids. There are many ways to trim costs, we have to work on it.

    #1, learn early to save from every paycheck, even $5-10. Stick it in a safe or jar, don't look at it. Save for Christmas or for something special, or for something that breaks. More is better, but some something!

    Thanks for this list, Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 more, ask for cash discounts at small businesses. They pay fees on credit and debit cards. Our local meat market adds 3% on for any card. People are quick to pull out debit cards, but I take cash with me there.

    ReplyDelete