I am so glad to have the US nanny state protecting me from myself. Grateful that I can’t get antibiotics except with prescription, grateful that I can’t seek alternative cancer treatments (should they ever be needed), and grateful that most medical doctors know so little about medicinal herbs. I guess I should be grateful to still be able to breathe without their permission.
As I get ready to sell my books and some herbal preparations at a gun show next week, (first one, no idea how this is going to go), I looked for some herbal marketing suggestions. The most, and actually, only applicable one came from the legal and regulatory FAQs of the American Herbalists Guild.
Like you, I was already aware that herbalists and herbal products in the US are prohibited from implying that herbs or herbal formulas can diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases. I didn’t realize that there are a bunch of other words that need to be avoided.
Offending word Acceptable replacement
Chronic Seasonal/occasional
Heal Support
Inflammation Occasional swelling
Medicinal Herbal
Pain Aches
Reduce Soothe
Relieve Ease
Serious/intense Minor
Treat Balance
When I’ve looked for herbal remedies in the past, it hasn’t been with an aim to “soothe,” “ease,” or “balance” something “minor” or “occasional.” Those verbs and adjectives all sound a bit soft to me. I am one who generally ignores minor issues as most will eventually resolve anyway. When I am in enough discomfort to seek a treatment, I want the big guns that will do the job—something that will “heal” not “balance,” something that will “reduce,” “relieve,” or “treat” “serious” “pain.”
I think I’m not alone in that regard. So I thought posting the vocabulary that herbalists are restricted to using might be helpful.
While pharmaceutical companies are free to market their products, even if they are nowhere near 100% effective and even if there are potentially serious side effects, herbalists cannot. And a common situation where troubles arise involves the “disease claim.” A disease claim states that the herbal product will “diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent disease.” Disease claims may only be made by those with a medical license and in regard to products with prior FDA approval. In addition, product labels mentioning specific diseases or conditions like arthritis, diabetes, eczema, or migraines—anything considered a chronic issue necessitating medical attention—are prohibited.
Providing information on herbs in an educational setting, discussing the herbs’ historical uses and therapeutics, apart from any product or brand, is still acceptable. But you’ve still got to be careful about protecting yourself.
So where does this leave me? As you know, I just published Armageddon Pharmacy. I think it means I can’t sell those herbal preparations I spent the past week putting together at the same time that I sell my books. I think I will have to be a little more careful with the words I choose when writing about herbs and potential treatments. I am so grateful to have documented sources for everything and insisted on including them in Armageddon Pharmacy when the formatter was begging to place them in a simple bibliography. I hope that I included enough disclaimers and recommendations to always check with a physician before beginning any herbal therapy.
References:
https://americanherbalistsguild.com/legal-and-regulatory-faqs
Ordered Armageddon Pharmacy the day it became available. Ordered many herbal books over the years. This is one of the best I have ever read. Great references. Went to Jekyll Island this past week. Saw trees with moss. Was that usnea?
ReplyDeleteThank you!!
DeleteThe closest I've gotten to Jekyll Island (the mere thought creeps me out!) is the Atlanta airport. I understand that Spanish moss is prevalent in the south, so I couldn't say whether what you saw is one or the other. You could always do a test on the spot to check. Soak the sample in water for 15 minutes. Then slowly pull a strand apart. If it stretches but will reduce back into place, it's likely usnea. The sure sign is the color of the cortex, the inner thread. If it is black, it's Spanish moss. If white, it's usnea.
Can you market them as historical reenactment products?
ReplyDeleteFor those of you doing 'reenactment' of civil war, old west, middle ages, viking culture etc these were used in those cultures.
Your showing there historical use and methods of preparation.
Exile1981
That's a thought.
DeleteMore government control is why it's worded that way.
ReplyDeleteDo you have anyone who can go with you? One to sell books and another to sell your herbal preparations?
Good luck and God bless.
I am concerned that the feds would still have a problem with that. It's not worth the stress. I may consider a booth at our farmer's market, where, incidentally, I would not be allowed to sell my books since they aren't an agricultural product.
Delete