Friday, May 17, 2024

Salt-Free Seasonings

I like salt.  I don’t think I began salting my food until I was in my mid- to late-twenties, but since then, I haven’t turned back.  I attribute it to taste buds that die off as we age.  Anyway, I sprinkle salt on my sourdough toast each morning since I substituted coconut oil for butter.  I didn’t abandon butter because I think it’s unhealthy.  Butter is just butter.  But it’s also gotten quite expensive, so I began using coconut oil.  And that works really well as long as you sprinkle some salt on top.  Gotta have that salt.

The thought of going without salt makes me sad.  I hope I don’t ever have to do it.

And I am sad for those who need to follow salt-restricted diets.  I hear that it’s not too bad after the first couple of weeks, and that adherents enjoy tasting the food again instead of the salt.  And that they like trying out new seasoning blends.  I’m a little skeptical.  But I’m also concerned about Aaron or me ending up like them in the future.  So I thought it would be a good idea to prepare for the possibility now while the prepping is easy.

I haven’t tried any of these out.  No one in the family has.  We like salt.

Cajun Seasoning

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoon thyme

1 ½ teaspoons oregano

1 teaspoon cayenne

 

Combine all ingredients in a spice bottle and shake well to distribute.

 

Curry Seasoning

3 tablespoons coriander

2 tablespoons cumin

2 tablespoons turmeric

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon ginger

½ teaspoon red chili flakes

 

Combine all ingredients in a spice bottle and shake well to distribute.

 

Fajita Seasoning

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 teaspoons cumin

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon oregano

 

Combine all ingredients in a spice bottle and shake well to distribute.

 

Italian Seasoning

3 tablespoons oregano

2 tablespoons thyme

1 tablespoon basil

1 tablespoon marjoram

1 tablespoon sage

1 teaspoon garlic powder

 

Combine all ingredients in a spice bottle and shake well to distribute.

 

Mrs. Dash Copycat

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

2 teaspoons basil

2 teaspoons oregano

2 teaspoons white pepper

1 ½ teaspoons marjoram

1 ½ teaspoons parsley

1 ½ teaspoons savory

1 ½ teaspoons thyme

1 teaspoon orange peel

½ teaspoon cayenne

½ teaspoon cumin

½ teaspoon dry mustard

 

Combine all ingredients in a spice bottle and shake well to distribute.

 

Ranch Seasoning

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 tablespoons parsley flakes

2 teaspoons chives

2 teaspoons dill weed

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon onion flakes

1 teaspoon oregano

 

Combine all ingredients in a spice bottle and shake well to distribute.

 

Taco Seasoning

5 tablespoons chili powder

3 tablespoons cumin

2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

1 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon onion powder

 

Combine all ingredients in a spice bottle and shake well to distribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Are You Preparing For?