Saturday, December 16, 2023

Peanut Butter--It's Not Just for Sandwiches

Watching the slow collapse of shipping and the resultant food shortages  and mounting inflation across the country has been a little eerie for me.  I guess I thought I’d just sit on my porch and kick back with some fresh popcorn and a cold Virgil’s root beer and watch it all happen.  I somehow didn’t picture myself being in the middle of it. 

And yet, there I am, at the grocery store each week (as long as possible, anyway), observing prices shoot heavenward. It's the same for you, I'm sure.

And so I’ve raised the issue with my husband.  Actually, the topic came up because I got a screaming deal on some blueberries from the local produce company that supplies the restaurants in the area—12 one-pint baskets for $6.00.  I canned a few quarts and made a bunch of jam, even though we really aren’t jam people.  And my husband asked why our family didn’t eat much jam.  Of course, I told him that it was because he liked meat and cheese sandwiches much better than PB&J and he raised the kids the same way.  (Like, how could he forget something like that?!?!)  Anyway, with the way things were going with deli meats, I suggested when it was time for sandwiches in his lunch (because there weren’t any leftovers), he was going to have to start having PB&J. 

And that means I’m going to have to start storing more peanut butter.  It’s been a problem in the past because the kids all prefer creamy, and I’m solidly in the chunky camp.  They also like heavily processed peanut butter with soybean oil and sugar, which I hate feeding to my children.  I love the peanuts and salt and nothing else variety.  And neither side has been willing to compromise.

But now we are getting down to one child left at home.  This is a battle I can win. I can just about taste the victory.

I have to admit that I kinda got stuck on the notion that peanut butter is only for sandwiches.  And since PB&J’s weren’t very popular, we didn’t need that much peanut butter.  But peanut butter is so loaded with calories and nutrition that it’s a great part of any food storage program.  Let’s take a look at why peanut butter is so fabulous.

As far as the shelf-life and storage of peanut butter goes as well as the pros and cons of natural peanut butter versus the common commercial products and spreads, I posted on that very topic a year ago, so there’s no need to repeat that information here.  We’re just going to cover some of the very diverse ways it can be used morning, noon, and night.

Breakfast

My sister loved peanut butter toast when we were growing up, but it was never my thing.  Becky makes a divine peanut butter and banana smoothie; she even throws some spinach in.  Some people swirl peanut butter and honey into oatmeal, and I just recently read of one kid stirring it into hot chocolate.  I think he might be a genius.

Lunch

Besides ye olde PB&J and filling celery sticks, it is a key ingredient in Peanut Butter Play Dough.  This fare is best served to the 2-8 year old crowd, those who love to play with their food as much as eat it.  Do not try to understand how kids could love a doughy mixture of dry milk, honey, and peanut butter.  You’ll just stroke out.

I really love green salads for lunch.  I hate buying overpriced salad dressing with mystery ingredients.  And one of my favorite salad dressings is Spicy Asian Peanut Salad Dressing.

Spicy Asian Peanut Salad Dressing

½ cup peanut butter

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar

3 tablespoons lime juice

¼ cup soy sauce

4 cloves minced garlic

1 teaspoon ginger

2 tablespoons honey

2 teaspoons sesame oil

¼ cup peanut oil

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Whisk everything together in a small bowl.  Add a tablespoon or two of water if you like thinner dressing.  You may also wish to add a little salt.

Dinner

Peanut butter is a key ingredient in our favorite sauce for the PF Chang Copycat Lettuce Wraps.  It’s also added to the sauce for one of the Asian zoodle recipes I posted two months ago.  I go back and forth about which of the two Asian zoodle recipes is my favorite.  And it makes a great sauce for serving with chicken satay.

Peanut Sauce

3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon lime juice

2 teaspoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, or to taste

1 teaspoon ginger

2-3 tablespoons water

Whisk everything but the water in a small bowl to combine.  Gradually add in water and whisk until desired consistency is reached. 

Dessert

Peanut butter is really fabulous swirled into brownie batter (I think the natural stuff works best here).  And, of course, you can't make peanut butter cookies without it.  The absolute best way to serve natural peanut butter is to drizzle it over high quality chocolate ice cream.  O.  My.  Gosh.  Heaven.  (Why, oh why, couldn’t I have been born with a really high metabolism?)

Other Uses

Dogs love it.  So do mice and rats.  It’s perfect for baiting their traps.  Some birds also really like it.

Links to related posts:

Peanut Butter for Food Storage

Peanut Butter Play Dough

PF Chang’s Copycat Lettuce Wraps

Asian Zoodles

5 comments:

  1. I like peanut butter with apple slices. I do like nutty peanut butter, but for some reason I never got into sandwiches that much. Maybe because when I was growing up the peanut butter and white bread always stuck to the roof of your mouth. :)
    So in addition to apples and celery, I like it on a spoon from the jar. :)
    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac & peanut butter - like mac & cheese without the cheese, PB oatmeal loaf (make thicker oatmeal, stir in PB, in loaf pan and bake about 30min at 350, PB on graham crax, on pancakes thinned with a little syrup, Rice Krispie treats - add some PB & really good with Cocoa Krispies, PB energy balls - mix PB, old fashioned oats, raisins, flaxmeal or wheat germ until can form balls then roll in finely chopped nuts, coconut or more wheat germ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mac & PB sounds a little sketchy to me, but the others sound like pretty good ideas. Thanks for posting!

      Delete
    2. Peanut butter and bananas are always a great combination, especially as the bananas get more ripe (I prefer eating them with some green.) Spread pb on a tortilla and wrap around a banana. My daughter feeds her kids peanut butter and applesauce on their pancakes. Fudgies, or preacher cookies include peanut butter and are a favorite dessert here.

      We've always stored lots of peanut butter and I've discovered that the more highly processed it is (and the less healthy), the longer the shelf life. I've compromised by storing the "natural" versions of name brands, which still have sugar but no hydrogenated oils. We're currently eating some that's over 3 years old and it's fine.

      Delete
  3. Aside from all the previously mentioned uses for peanut butter, I use it as bait for squirrels in conibear traps. If/when the poop hits the fan and you can't just go to the store for meat, squirrels are every where (for a while).

    ReplyDelete