Thursday, December 14, 2023

Canning Jars and Blender Bottoms

Many years ago, one of the tips I got from reading The Tightwad Gazette was that the size and threads of regular mouth canning jars and blenders were exactly the same and could be used interchangeably.  This would come in handy if one ever broke the blender container.  (Which I had, a few weeks earlier, and had already thrown away.  Ugh.)  Whether that holds true for all blenders, I can’t say.  I don’t know if it would work with a Vitamix or a Ninja bullet.  But for the regular, run-of-the-mill blenders, this holds true and has for years.

What I learned a year or so ago is that Parmesan cheese containers with the shaker lids are also the exact same size.  The lids can be saved and used on your canning jars for storing dry foods or in place of the canning lid and band for refrigerated foods.  The container, of course, could also be used on the blender itself. 

The same can be said for mayonnaise jars and lids.  In fact, for many years women saved the glass mayonnaise jars and used them for canning. 

And finally, the same may hold true for peanut butter lids and containers. 

It’s just a little tip that may save you some money.

21 october 2021

2 comments:

  1. Some of the newer mayo jars, the jars are just enough smaller that the canning ring "spins" and doesn't tighten down tight for canning. Hard learned lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to watch out for. Thank you for mentioning this.

      Delete