Saturday, December 23, 2023

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—No-Bake Reese’s Peanut Butter Squares

All the brightly colored, foil-wrapped chocolate candies is one of the things I will miss when the train leaves the tracks.  (I will miss peanut M&Ms more, but I haven’t yet found a good recipe for making them.  I mean, I can figure out the peanut part, and the chocolate part, but the candy coating is beyond me.)  Snickers are my favorite; I posted a recipe for them (and they taste way better than store-bought) a couple of Christmases ago.  Trader Joe’s peanut butter cups are a close second, but they don’t come in festive foil wrappers. 

What we have here aren’t exactly a copycat of Reese’s peanut butter cups, but they sure are close, even though they don’t come in festive foil wrappers, either.  Made with real chocolate, they taste better, in my opinion.  And they are easy.  And can be made entirely from food storage if you use homemade graham crackers or Grape-Nuts. 

Reese’s Peanut Butter Squares

¾ cup graham cracker crumbs

1 ½ cups powdered sugar

¾ cup peanut butter

1/3 cup coconut oil, melted

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (may substitute milk chocolate chips)

2 teaspoons coconut oil

In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, and peanut butter and mix until well-combined.  Blend in melted coconut oil.  Press the mixture evenly into an 8x8” pan.  Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler and use a spatula to spread the chocolate over the peanut butter mixture.  Chill just until set and then cut into bars. 

Family reviews:  The women all adored these.  The men found the peanut butter layer “grainy.”  If I had a better food processor (hint, hint family members:  Christmas is around the corner), then I could process the graham crackers to a finer texture. 

Now, with this recipe, you don’t have to take our word for it.  There are 619 reviews on Food.com, with what looks like a 4.9 out of 5 possible stars.  I did make three changes from that recipe:  

  • I cut it in half and it still made more than we should eat at any given time.
  • I substituted coconut oil for the butter.
  • I added coconut oil to the chocolate so that it would cut more easily. 

Noteworthy tweaks that other people implemented:

  • Line the pan with parchment paper.
  • Substitute powdered milk for half of the powdered sugar for a treat that is a little healthier and not quite so sweet.  I’m going to give this one a try next time.

Reference:

https://www.food.com/recipe/reeses-squares-5-ingredients-no-bake-reeses-29679

Links to related posts:

Homemade Snickers  

Homemade Graham Crackers 

Homemade Grape-Nuts  

Chocolate in the Prepper’s Pantry  

No comments:

Post a Comment