Saturday, September 3, 2022

Slug Burgers--Stretching the Meat Supply

The price of meat continues to soar to the moon.  And with vegans and vegetarians everywhere you turn, there are a lot of "plant-based" meat offerings in stores.  (I still don't understand why people who have such disdain for meat want to make things that taste like meat.)  And then we also have the elites now pushing us to eat bugs.  I'm getting the sneaky suspicion that soylent green isn't too far off.

While eating locusts apparently worked okay for John the Baptist, I'm not really ready to go there yet.  And I'd bet the farm that I and my family never will be.  

Here's a recipe for those of you who aren't yet ready to adopt the full vegan lifestyle with a veggie burger.  These culinary creations had their start in the greasy spoon diners of the South, when restaurant owners had to stretch their limited meat supplies during the Great Depression.  Fortunately, the name doesn't refer to a slimy garden pest, but rather to the slang term for a counterfeit coin--a slug.  Corinth, Mississippi, reputed birthplace of the slug burger, celebrates the heritage of this culinary marvel with a festival held each year in July.  Some recipes call for Panko or regular bread crumbs.  I'll probably give that a try sometime down the road.  This recipe uses highly convenient potato flakes.

Slug Burgers
1/2 pound ground pork or beef
1 cup "filler" potato flakes (cornmeal is another option)
1/3 cup flour

1 egg
2 teaspoons salt

Oil for deep frying

Mix well.  Make 4-5 really flat patties.  These will shrink only very slightly. Deep fry for 1-2 minutes.  Top with cheese, onions, mustard, etc., whatever your usual hamburger toppings are. 

Family reviews:   I cooked the patties too long and they got a little dark, but everyone was pretty impressed with them regardless of them being a bit crispy.  Aaron said the texture was a bit reminiscent of crab cakes.  While we all liked these much better than the black bean veggie burgers I wrote about earlier this year, these slug burgers weren't just tolerated by the family.  They would happily eat them again.  I could totally serve these to guests.  When the time comes that beef is truly scarce, I predict slug burgers will be on menus everywhere.


Links to related posts:
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Hamburger Buns
French Fries

 09.26.20

7 comments:

  1. Love them! We also used oatmeal for filler growing up.... Still do sometimes and in meatloaf... Now I'm experimenting with the dehydrated veges powdered... The fattier ground beef makes tastier slug burgs in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soylent green is already here, in one form. https://soylent.com/products/soylent-green-squared
    Thanks for this recipe! You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought when hubby first told me about it.

      Delete
  3. Dad taught me how to make these when I was growing up. We used stale bread crumbs and the fattest (cheapest) ground beef. To give it a little extra flavor, I add a splash or three of Worcestershire sauce instead of salt.

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat