Thursday, September 10, 2026

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Zucchini Olé

A couple of years ago I posted a recipe for Zucchini and Eggplant, one of a collection in the Zucchini Cookery book.  This cookbook was commercially sold—I remember seeing it in stores—but it was definitely a homemade deal.  Handwritten and photocopied, and then stapled, all 50 pages of it.  Naturally, there are no photos.  Of course, I don’t have a lot of photos, either.  My son’s trying to change that.  I just don’t know if I can go there.  They really do challenge me. 

Anyway, I’ve got a truckload of zucchini and yellow squash.  Courtesy of the local deer population, who, by the way, have awarded my garden five stars on Food.com, I only have squash this year.  There might be enough tomatoes for a couple canner loads of salsa.  I don’t know what the deal was with the onions, why they aren’t doing well.  The deer couldn’t seem to get enough of the peppers, and they didn’t even care that I’d put them in buckets right next to the house.  The dogs are fully retired and refuse to do any barking or chasing at all.  It’s truly depressing. 

Well, pity party’s over.  I’m still working on the second edition of BYOB, just about obsessed with finishing it.  And so I put off making dinner as long as possible.  I needed something quick tonight.  (I’m actually writing this the night before it posts.)  With just 22 main dish recipes, I didn’t have a lot to choose from, and I try to focus on dishes that are the most food storage friendly.  Zucchini Olé filled the bill. 

But it honestly didn’t look that appealing.  I was a little scared to try it.

Zucchini Olé

1 tablespoon oil

½ onion, sliced

3 cups zucchini, thinly sliced

1 cup chunky salsa

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon salt

8 oz grated Colby jack cheese

In a saucepan with a fitted lid, heat the oil and saute the onions.  When the onions are tender and translucent, add the zucchini, salsa, cumin, and salt.  Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and liquid has been reduced.  Stir in grated cheese.  Serve immediately.  Serves 4. 

Chef’s review:  This came together really quickly. 

Family review:  Like I said, I was super skeptical.  But it was fabulous.  Aaron loved it.  Becky loved it.  They said it was the best new recipe this year.  As I was making it, I thought it might be good served over rice.  Blueberry Girl had some rice and lentils left from lunch, so she heated that up and we put the Zucchini Ole on top.  I couldn’t even taste the lentils or rice.  They just kinda blended right in with the zucchini.  This recipe is an absolute keeper.

Links to related posts:

Zucchini and Eggplant 

Wonderful Salsa 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe!

    When gardening gets important folks should remember deet fear humans even sleeping ones in the garden.

    Like the Cherokee Indian having children guard the 3 sisters at night.

    ReplyDelete

Edema in Armageddon