Friday, September 11, 2026

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Zucchini Brownies

Too much zucchini.  I’ve already made chocolate zucchini cake a few times.  I know none of us needs more recipes for treats, but treats are important to morale, and we sometimes need help clearing zucchini out of the kitchen. 

Though I’d never seen a recipe for zucchini borwnies, I thought there much be one out there somewhere.  And I didn’t want cake-like brownies (may as well have cake, right?) and nothing with frosting.  I had to scan through a lot of recipes before finding one that might work.

Zucchini Brownies

¾ cup granulated sugar

¼ cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup whole wheat flour

¼ cup cocoa powder

¾ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup coarsely grated zucchini

¼ cup chopped walnuts

¼ cup chocolate chips, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease and flour an 8x8” pan.

Combine the sugar, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl until well blended.  Scoop the mixture against the side of the bowl.  On the other side of the bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and whisk them together.  Then combine the two mixtures into one.

Fold in the zucchini, nuts, and chocolate chips.  Spread mixture into pan.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  Let cool 20 minutes. 

Chef’s review:  After I put it all together, I was surprised that it was a bit dry.  I was sure I’d missed an egg or other liquid.  Nope, that was the recipe.  I was concerned about how this would turn out. 

Family reviews:  The first thing was all noticed was that the brownies were grainy.  And we attributed it to the lack of moisture/water in the recipe.  The zucchini isn’t watery enough to dissolve the sugar.  That being said, KOTPE gave it 5 stars “for food storage.”  But if he had a choice between these brownies or chocolate zucchini cake, he’d prefer the cake.  Blueberry Girl couldn’t be certain what she’d prefer.  She did say that she’d need another brownie to help her decide.  I’m still thinking about the brownies.  I loved that they didn’t require any eggs.  And for some reason, they are a bit filling.  Also, we all felt they weren’t quite fudgy by store-bought mix standards.  But they definitely aren’t cake-like, which are a complete no-go for this family.  I liked them better, despite them being a little grainy, because I knew they were from scratch without the store-bought mix additives.  

Links to related posts:

Chocolate Zucchini Cake 

No comments:

Post a Comment