One thing I didn't realize at the time was that almost every plant in the landscape could be used medicinally. They were ordinary plants commonly used in residential plantings. No one would ever suspect that the overwhelming majority of plants in the very small landscaped area at the front of my house are medicinal. They're just herbs, shrubs, and trees that normally grow here. The point is, if I have such an array at my house, in the desert at that, you probably have a good selection at your home or in a nearby park in your area.
The following medicinal herbs were planted by the previous owners. I've already written about the medicinal uses of most of them.
- Blackberry
- Catnip
- Dogwood
- Japanese honeysuckle
- Pine
- Rosemary
- Russian Olive
- Russian Sage
- Spearmint
- Wild rose
- Yarrow
The native plants already growing here:
The weeds:
The point of listing all these herbs was not to show off, believe it or not. Besides, they won't even be my medicinal herbs for much longer as I'll have to start over in our new location. These are the medicinal herbs growing around me without any investment on my part. We all have medicinal herbs growing around us. We just have to look--identify them and study their uses. If a person just learns ten or so herbs, he can manage a lot of problems. Twenty would cover just about everything. In those lists above, I've got 21, and that's in a desert. I imagine the selection would be significantly broader in more conducive climates.
You don't have to range far and wide to find medicinal plants. Many extremely beneficial herbs are growing right outside your door.
Links to related posts:
Tinctures
How to Make a Salve
Most of the herbs listed above are linked to posts about them
27 may 2024
Can you believe fb won't let me share your post on my phone? Just sad.
ReplyDeleteI can easily believe it. Amazon has taken down at least two reviews of my book as well.
DeleteI don't get it. You're just trying to help people.
DeleteI'm going to try again tonight. Works a bit different on my computer.
You have a book? How did I miss that?
DeleteExile1981
Does the image not show up on the right side of your screen? I've actually been thinking it's a bit too big and obnoxious and was going to see if I could downsize it a bit.
DeleteOn my fb for now. Not sure how many people will take time to read it, but I tried. :)
ReplyDeleteWe did a bit of storage and such. Just never expect a tornado to tear the roof off your house.
We are blessed though. We are all okay. We have a way forward, and next time I need more storage buckets and less reliance on "This room is safe. It's been here for 140 years" :)
Be safe and God bless.
When did the tornado happen? Recently?
DeleteI'm very glad you're all okay. Thank you for posting the article on FB. All we can do is give people the opportunity to learn. What they do with opportunities provided to them is their business.
Not recently. Earth Day. April 22. We lost 5 or 6 trees, Maybe more. Most of them pecan trees that were 60 years or more old.
DeleteI noticed your book. Actually wasn't clear at first that it was a book. I thought it a link to an article. But that is my error as I didn't read it all clearly.
Oh, wow. I'm so sorry. We lived in Missouri for 5 years. I only saw the aftermath of one tornado. It was just amazing to me that homes could be completely leveled and yet just a street or two away you couldn't tell that anything at all had happened.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure whether I would be more upset about losing the trees or the roof. I hope all goes well with all the repairs and putting everything back together.