Friday, August 28, 2020

Emergency Bread in a Bag

 Announcement:  The long-anticipated move from Point A to Point B has finally arrived.  And while there is only a four-hour drive between the two places, we have a five-day gap between the close of escrow on the two homes.  It means we get to camp, but not at a campground and not with hookups, and with four very large dogs and two cats.  I can't say that I'm looking forward to this.  What I can say is that I will be incommunicado.  I won't be able to respond to any questions or comments for a while.  I will respond as soon as I get settled.  


Up next:  Beyond Mashed Potatoes--Seven Really Diverse Ways to Use Instant Potato Flakes

In an emergency, it can be really hard to think.   That's one reason why we prepare in advance, to alleviate some of the stress that challenging circumstances present.  We don't generally know what the disaster will be or how it will affect our lives.  However, we all know that we still need to eat.  And having good food improves morale.

Nothing gives comfort like good homemade bread.  Pair it with a hearty soup, and you'll have some very happy campers.

The following recipe is designed to have all the ingredients, except the water, pre-measured in a one-gallon Ziploc freezer bag.  Coconut oil can be purchased in packets, or you can measure it into a snack-size baggie.  If desired, you can even put a water bottle in the bag as well so that you are totally ready to roll. 

Emergency Bread in a Bag
4 cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil (2 packets coconut oil, or 2 tablespoons in a snack size baggie)
1 1/2 cups very warm water

In a Ziploc bag, combine the dry ingredients.  When ready to make bread, add the oil and warm water.  Seal bag and knead ingredients with fingers for several minutes until all the water is well absorbed by the dry ingredients.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead until smooth and elastic.  Cover dough with plastic (or return it to the Ziploc bag).   Let rest 10 minutes.

Punch dough down and divide into two equal pieces.  Roll each half into a rectangle and then roll it up from the short end and pinch seam and ends closed.  Put each half seam side down into a greased bread pan.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until done.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.  Yields 2 loaves.

Reviews:  This bread isn't quite as soft as our regular sandwich bread and is a bit crumbly, but it would still work very well for sandwiches.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! It got me thinking...I have both shortening powder and butter powder in storage. Could you substitute one of those for the coconut oil in this recipe and have a true just-add-water recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used shortening powder, so I can't comment on that. I'm not sure how the butter powder would affect the crumb of the bread, but there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to produce an acceptable loaf of bread with butter powder as opposed to coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat