Saturday, August 22, 2020

DIY Chocolate Chips

I am solidly in the camp of storing buckets of chocolate chips.  I like them.  I like them in cookies and brownies and my mouth.  I do not want to DIY chocolate chips.  I'd rather buy them on sale now and save myself the time and mess later.  And I'd seriously recommend that you do the same.  Because this is another recipe that leans a bit to the fail side. 

It's not a fail because they taste bad.  They don't.  They actually taste fine, though the texture is a bit grainy.  We ate most of these just as is, little chunks here and there. 

If you have a brownie recipe that calls for chocolate chips, these might work well in it.  They worked quite satisfactorily in my brownie recipe.  However, they absolutely did not work in chocolate chip cookies.  Complete fail.  But we still ate the cookies.  They just weren't chocolate chip cookies. 

Some recipes on the 'net call for cocoa butter instead of coconut oil.  That's what real chocolate chips are made with, so I suspect that recipe would work well.  But, why store cocoa butter to make chocolate chips, when you could just store chocolate chips and not have the mess and fuss later?

However, not everyone has the foresight to store essentials like chocolate chips. Maybe in future days you'll come across people like this.  You can be a nice person and share this recipe with her, with the warning that they won't be perfect, and that way you can keep your chips for yourself. 

DIY Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt the first three ingredients in a double boiler, stirring to combine thoroughly.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.  Let the chocolate cool for a few minutes, then spoon it into a freezer bag.  Cut a little bit from the corner and use this bag to make chocolate chips.  Alternatively, you can also spread it in a pan, refrigerate it, and then cut it into chunks. 

4 comments:

  1. Question: Maybe you could make the cookies without the above chips but then melt the chips and dip the cookies in it and let dry? Might work maybe? lol But I agree, "real" choc chips in vacuum sealed jars are a handy thing to have on hand. So are the peanut butter ones and caramel ones. Not big on the butterscotch one tho.Would love some cinnamon chips and its on my list of things to buy soon online from somewhere. They would be awesome in a coffee cake lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a good way to vacuum seal jars? It has been my experience - though it was probably me - that the food saver jar seal thingy doesn't do a very good job an they come unsealed rather easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you warming the flat lids first before using them? It makes the rubber softer and the seal better. I use an old electric heating pad and a tea towel. I put the towel down on the pad which is set on low and then the lids ( rubber side up) and then fold the towel over them. Then I get everything set up and ready to seal then use the warmed lids.
      You can also use other jars from your storage ( like pickle,spaghetti,etc) that have the rubber gasket inside the lid. You'll need a Foodsaver canister in a size larger than the jar you're using. Warm the lid gasket side up like before. Once ready place the lid on tight, put the whole jar inside the canister and then seal like you would just sealing the canister. You should hear a ping and the jar will be sealed

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that information. I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't recall ever hearing a ping. :)

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat