Up next: Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Cafe--Hot Fudge Brownies
Instead of being isolated in our homes and away from our communities, we should be out enjoying county fairs and farmers' markets. And yet, here we are. However, as a hard-core introvert, I have to admit I am thoroughly relishing my life at home. The endless comings and goings of a large, busy family have been replaced by much more time together. The dazzle of the carnival lights is replaced by an unforgettable comet as we also enjoy the myriad of stars above us in peace.
But just because we can't participate in the normal festivities, it doesn't mean we can't indulge in some carnival fare. These funnel cakes couldn't be easier to make, and they can be made with fresh ingredients or long-term food storage without any noticeable difference in taste.
Funnel Cakes
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cooking oil
Powdered sugar, to taste
Beat eggs in a medium mixing bowl and then add in milk. Sift dry ingredients together, and then beat into egg mixture until smooth. Heat oil to 360 degrees in a deep skillet.
Pour 1/4 cup of batter into a funnel, covering the end with a finger. Remove the finger to release the batter into the oil, making a spiral starting in the center of the pan and working outward. Fry until golden, about three minutes. Flip and fry one more minute.
Drain on a paper towel. Dust with powdered sugar.
2 september 2022
Does it matter what type of flour?
ReplyDeleteThis looks great. Thank you.
I used all-purpose, and I'm thinking that will taste better than whole wheat. I'll have to try WW and let you know--but that will have to wait until I'm finally in the new house. My current house is all packed up and we don't get into the new house for nearly 3 weeks.
DeleteGod bless your new home. :)
DeleteAnd thank you. I expect all-purpose keeps better than whole wheat also.
Do you use mylar bags? And dessicant?
I still have some flour in my kitchen pantry. Probably won't save it as flour is reasonably priced. Temperatures have been in or near 90 for weeks now. Run out of places to store things, haha.
Our new home will require adjustment to store what we used to store in the farm house. :)
Answering this 3 years late, as I just now saw it. All purpose flour definitely stores better than whole wheat flour. The oils in the WW flour go rancid fairly quickly. I sometimes use Mylar bags to store my flour. It just depends on whether I have them on hand. I never use a desiccant. I live in a desert.
Delete