Have you seen the price of salad dressing lately? It’s absolutely insane--$4 for a 16 oz. bottle? Even when they are on clearance for 50% off it’s too expensive. I just can’t pay that much anymore.
So now comes the renewed effort to make most of our salad dressings from scratch. They’ll be far less expensive and a bit healthier. At least we’ll be able to pronounce the ingredients. Last month I made some fabulous ranch dressing; last week I made Italian using a homemade mix, so it was super quick to put together.
But what I really want—what I really love—is poppy seed dressing. It’s perfect for green summer salads with fruit. And Becky and I finished off the last bottle of the clearance stuff three months ago. So I went to Google Lady and got inundated with potential recipes for my family. Most use oil; avoid olive oil or anything with a strong flavor. A few of the creamy versions incorporate Greek yogurt, and with fewer calories, it’s healthier.
Poppy Seed Dressing
½ cup peanut or other neutral oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Salt, to taste, about ½ teaspoon
Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well.
Notes. Any light-tasting oil may be used. Any vinegar or even lemon juice may be used; red wine vinegar happens make a pretty pink dressing.
Poppy Seed Dressing
1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated white onion
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup peanut or neutral oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
In a blender, combine first five ingredients. Pour in peanut oil and blend until emulsified. Stir in poppy seeds.
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup peanut or neutral oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
In a small bowl, whisk together first four ingredients. Slowly add oil, stirring until thoroughly mixed. Stir in poppy seeds.
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
1/3 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
In a small jar, combine all ingredients. Shake thoroughly to combine.
Greek Yogurt Poppy Seed Dressing
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
In a small jar, combine all ingredients and stir thoroughly. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Links to related posts:
Making Mayonnaise in Challenging Circumstances https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2021/03/making-mayonnaise-in-challenging.html
How to Make Greek Yogurt—All from Food Storage! https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2022/11/how-to-make-greek-yogurtall-from-food.html
No comments:
Post a Comment