Friday, February 6, 2026

Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread

The flash drive contains all blog articles through early January 2026.  I didn’t edit the blog articles, and unfortunately, the program adds in extra returns.  Blogger has also done a good job of corrupting some of the tables and recipes, which makes me feel bad.  It seems to have especially affected the first couple of years.  So to compensate we’ve included the full manuscripts for Bring Your Own Bandages and Food Storage Made Fabulous.  Everything is in PDF and Word files, with the exception of FSMF, which is only in PDF.  That Word file went AWOL. 

The flash drive is the same as last year’s-- this one--water resistant, crush resistant, and temperature proof (though I bet I could find a way...).  The flash drives themselves are $30.  Shipping within the US only is $6, regardless of the number purchased. For more info, see the post on January 27.

I don’t know if I’ve made this bread since we moved here, but I used to make it all the time when the kids were home.  They and Aaron were rather quick to scarf it down, so none ever went to waste and the extra loaves weren’t in the freezer for long.

The original recipe made three large loaves.  That’s way too much for us now, especially since Aaron’s the only one eating it.  Anyway, I figured I needed to make some.  Aaron’s been buying raisin bread a lot lately.  He even went through a whole loaf last week on our drive out to visit his parents.  Without toasting it and without any butter.  I wonder if he’s having a midlife crisis of some sort. 

Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread

¾ cup raisins

2 cups water

3 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 ½ tablespoons powdered milk

2 teaspoons instant yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1 large egg

¾ cup reserved raisin water

¼ cup butter, softened

Filling:

1 egg white

1/3 cup butter, softened

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cinnamon

Boil the raisins in 2 cups water for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and let soak for 10 minutes.  Drain the raisins in a colander, reserving the raisin water.

Meanwhile, combine the flour, sugar, powdered milk, salt, and yeast in a large bowl.  Stir in the egg, reserved raisin water, and butter.  Knead the dough for 10 minutes and then add in the raisins. 

Let rise until doubled in volume.

Roll the dough out to a 10x12” rectangle.  Brush egg white on the surface of the dough.  Brush with melted butter.  Combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the dough, leaving about 1” on each edge. 

Roll cinnamon roll-style from the short side.  Pinch the seam together and turn the ends under.  Place in a loaf pan.

Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for about 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 350°F. 

After the dough has risen, brush with the remaining egg white.  Bake for 35 minutes.

Family reviews:  Like I said, all the rest of the family loves this bread.  As for me, you know I don’t do raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment