The holy grail for bean and bacon soup is making it taste like Campbell’s. It’s what I grew up with. It’s been so many years since I bought a can, though. I’m not sure it still tastes the same. And perhaps the flavor I desire comes from the mystery ingredients I don’t want in my food, so my homemade version will never taste the same. No matter. This sub is pretty good.
Bean and Bacon Soup
1 pound navy beans
6 thick slices bacon, diced
1/3 cup diced carrots
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup diced onions
4 cups rich ham broth
1 cup water
½ cup Magic Mix
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
Celery salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Soak the navy beans overnight or use a quick soak method.
In a soup pot, cook the bacon until browned but still limp. Remove the bacon from the pan and reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease.
Cook the carrots, celery, and onions in the bacon fat over medium heat until soft. Return the bacon to the pot and add in the beans and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer 1 ½ hours.
In a small bowl, whisk the water and Magic Mix together until smooth and no lumps remain. Stir this mixture into the soup and continue to simmer another 15 minutes, until soup thickens.
Season with celery salt and pepper.
Family reviews: Aaron loved it. Of course, coming inside from the cold to some hot soup always helps. 😉
Links to related posts:
No comments:
Post a Comment