Friday, January 23, 2026

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Roasted Butternut Squash

Zucchini reigns supreme as the all-time favorite summer squash.  The lush leaves and giant yellow-orange blossoms grace the garden all summer long, yielding more fruit than most families can possibly make fresh use of.  But then it can be dehydrated or freeze-dried for year-round use.  And we use it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizers, snacks, and dessert.  Sweet and savory, fresh, baked, sauteed, deep-fried. 

I think winter squash will never threaten zucchini’s throne.  Not during summer or fall, at any rate, though it may make a valiant effort throughout the winter.  It should at least be given a fair chance.   And so butternut squash enters the contest today.  Butternut Squash Soup used to be the only reason I planted butternut squash each year.  However, Roasted Butternut Squash gives us a new reason to plant more.

Roasted Butternut Squash

Butternut squash, 4-5 pounds total (usually 2 medium; I used 4 small)

½ cup coconut oil, melted

¼ cup packed light brown sugar

¾ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F. 

Cut off and discard the ends of each butternut squash.

Peel the squash. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.

Cut the squash into 1 ¼” cubes as uniformly as possible and place them in a large resealable bowl or plastic bag.  Add the coconut oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Seal the bowl or twist the bag closed and shake well to coat the squash cubes thoroughly. 

Spread the squash on a baking sheet in a single layer.

Roast 45-55 minutes, turning every 15-20 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze caramelizes.  Serves 4. 

Family reviews:  Awesome! Aaron and I both want to enjoy this again very soon.  Good thing there is a lot more squash in the basement.

2 comments:

  1. YUM-Sounds like what I do, but I mash mine and add a SMALL dash of liquid smoke for a deeper flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love butternut squash at our house. Roast it, mash it a bit with real butter and salt and pepper. Sometimes we will sprinkle some brown sugar instead of the salt and pepper. So good!

    ReplyDelete

The Medicinal Uses of Hyssop