Thursday, December 12, 2024

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café—Hoisin Sauce and Chinese Hot Mustard

Several years ago, more than I prefer to admit, I happened upon some clearance-priced jars of hoisin sauce.  I bought more than I should have; we just don’t go through hoisin sauce that quickly.  But it didn’t occur to me at the time that I could make my own, and hoisin is essential to some of the Asian dishes we enjoy here.  I thought I got enough to last us through the Apocalypse. 

I’ve got only one jar left. 

I don’t think it’s going to see us through.

So I had to find a recipe, or else we wouldn’t be able to enjoy Mushu Pork with Mandarin Pancakes when things get more interesting.  And that would be tragic.

Hoisin Sauce

¼ cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons peanut butter

1 tablespoon molasses or honey

2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar

2 teaspoons sesame seed oil

1 teaspoon Chinese hot sauce, or to taste

1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper

1 garlic clove, finely minced

Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk until well blended.

 

Chinese Hot Mustard

1 tablespoon mustard powder

⅛ teaspoon salt

⅛ teaspoon white pepper

1½ teaspoons hot water

½ teaspoon vegetable oil

½ teaspoon rice vinegar

¼ teaspoon granulated sugar, optional

In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients until evenly combined. Add water and stir until a liquid paste forms and the dry ingredients are absorbed. Next, stir in the oil and vinegar and until evenly combined.

Let the hot mustard rest for 10 minutes covered, and then stir again to ensure the dry ingredients have been fully absorbed. Taste your Chinese Hot Mustard and adjust it to your own preferences.

Links to related posts:

Mushu Pork and Mandarin Pancakes   

No comments:

Post a Comment